Forcing Welcome Screen Logon?

wolstech

Is it possible to completely disable the classic logon in XP Pro?

Even if I turn the Welcome Screen on, users can still press Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice and get to a classic logon screen in XP Pro. Is there a way I can prevent that, making it more like XP Home? I haven't seen any group policy that can do that either (of course, an option for Classic Only does exist. Go figure...)

I remember seeing an option saying "Disable Welcome Screen" when i opened GPEDIT.MSC some time ago. Check it out. You may also use the Windows PowerToy Tweak available at Windows Download Center to Disable the welcome screen. However, I am not sure if they will work as you intend.

Hm, ugh. Going to have to try something else...

Does anyone know if a copy of logonui.exe from XP Home would work, assuming both systems have the same SP? XP Home does not support the C-A-D for classic. I suppose i could try on a Virtual PC...

EDIT: Doesn't work either...

Does anyone know of a way to log a user on via a command line? I am running a program that watches for external hardware, and executes commands when said hardware is present. It runs as a service. I'm now wondering if i can simply use it to log a certain account on when the hardware is connected. (I'm not talking about Run As-ing a command, i need to get a desktop.)

Edited by wolstech

you could try something like:

http://www.bluemicrosolutions.com/bms/non_member/index.htm

http://www.rohos.com/products/rohos-logon-key/

or you could try this little homebrew fix: (keep in mind this is just off-the-top-of-my-head and I have NOT tested it in anyway)

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DisableCAD /d /t 1 REG_SZ /f

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v LogonType /d /t 0 REG_SZ /f

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v LegalNoticeCaption /d /t "HARDWARE KEY REQUIRED" REG_SZ /f

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v LegalNoticeText /d /t "INSERT HARDWARE DEVICE AND PRESS OK TO LOGIN" REG_SZ /f

this will force users to use the classic logon (i know that not what you want but stick with me it might work with the welcome screen too but i dont think so)

it will also add a legal notice popup before the login dialog

have your software that detects your hardware device run these lines either in a bat or individually (replace WHATEVERXXX with your passwords):

@echo off
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v Defaultusername /d WHATEVERUSERNAME /t REG_SZ /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultDomainName /d %COMPUTERNAME% /t REG_SZ /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v DefaultPassword /d WHATEVERPASSWORD /t REG_SZ /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v AutoAdminLogon /d 1 /t REG_SZ /f
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v ForceAutoLogon /d 1 /t REG_SZ /f

which will add the user and password to the registry and set XP to login automatically after a user hits OK on the legal notice

then run this as a logon script after login or when you key is removed (add "shutdown -l -f -t 10" to force a logoff in 10 seconds if the key is removed -if your software supports that)

@echo off
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /f /v DefaultUserName
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /f /v DefaultPassword
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /f /v DefaultDomainName
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /f /v AutoAdminLogon
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /f /v ForceAutoLogon

which removes the auto login information from the registry.