Hyper-V management on vista

todarsey

Has anyone here had any luck installing the Hyper-V management tool on their Vista machine? I am running Vista Home Premium SP2. It says that it installs correctly but the Hyper-V snapin isn't available.

I couldn't get it to work with SP1 either.

I can go into "Programs and Features" and look at Installed updates and the update "Hyper-V Management Clients for Vista SP1 (952627)" is listed, but no snap in is available in my Admin Tools.

Edited by todarsey

Hmmm - perhaps installing it from the MSU using switches to log the install, perhaps that might shed some light. It's likely failing, but hard to say why without some logging. The pkgmgr logging is usually pretty verbose, so it should help you.

Hmmm - perhaps installing it from the MSU using switches to log the install, perhaps that might shed some light. It's likely failing, but hard to say why without some logging. The pkgmgr logging is usually pretty verbose, so it should help you.

What switches should I use?

What switches should I use?

For example, on an x64 Vista system you should be able to download the en-us x64 package to C:\TEMP (again, example) and install it as follows:

1. start /w expand -f:* C:\TEMP\Windows6.0-KB941314-x64_en-US.msu C:\TEMP\941314
  2. start /w pkgmgr.exe /m:C:\TEMP\941314\Windows6.0-KB941314-x64.cab /l:C:\TEMP\941314.log

This will expand the msu into it's 4 component files, and pkgmgr should be able to install it (or at least attempt to install it) from the xml answer file and the .cab file (the pkgmgr.exe command line above). Once pkgmgr fails or succeeds, you can check the 941314.log to see what happened.

However, I just noticed in your first post you said you were running Home Premium. Looking closely at the RSAT package download page, it may just be that your OS doesn't qualify as a version this will run on:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...vQXkRD9fA%3d%3d

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Ultimate