Icon positions restore (Desktop & Quick Launch)

Hi All,

The passed few days I've been browsing the internet and came across a lot of little programs (including commandline programs) that restore your desktop icon positions. I've looked at a couple of them and noticed there isn't any good restore desktop icon positions program. I tried layout.dll from MS and it seems that you can only restore your icon positions from right clicking your trash bin. Also multiple saves are not possible incase you switch resolution.

Next I came across dtcmd which seemed to do the trick. You can save positions for every resolution you make, however there's one problem: When using dtcmd to restore positions you first have to move an icon before it saves (on a fresh install XP machine) the restored positions.

So what I'm asking is this: Is there a commandline program for restoring your Desktop Icon Positions as well as your Quicklaunch Icon Positions? After 3 days of reading it seems that there is nothing out there that works properly to MY needs. :)

Thanks for any help.. :D

Hi,

I think I've solved my problem for the icon positions and commandline desktop restorer. I'm using desktopcmd to restore the desktop icon positions and then do a rundll32 user32.dll,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters. Sofar it tested ok and after a reboot the icons are still in place. Now on to the next problem: The quicklaunch icon positions. I've tried Iconoid, but sofar I haven't seen a commandline possibility and also the quicklaunchbar sort order is not saved. But I'm getting there and thanks for the tip x-shadow-x.

Dreamline

I think I solved my problem with the quicklaunch sort order too. With the help of some of the comments on this forum ofcourse. But when I combine my desktop restore and quicklaunch restore then the desktop restore will reset to default. So i need to move the restores around a bit in my scripts. Basically do a quicklaunch restore before my program installs and the desktop restore after my all program installs.

:)

All useful solutions are described in this topic:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...-rebooting.html

the one about using a new NTUSER.DAT solved ALL issues I had: quicklaunch disappeared after reboot, the order wasn't correct, the icons I wanted hidden in tray were not hidden.

Eventually I created a new useraccount on a different pc that was not installed by my uACD, copied the NTUSER.DAT files from that account to my pc.

I had to set all personal settings again (themes and stuff) but it worked. All other solutions didn't work.

The solution I am talking about is on page 2 at the bottom by Madescoces.

But I suggest reading the whole topic (3 pages).