Upgrade to 7

mark_smith

Hey guys, i currently have 3 computers, 2 are running on Windows XP and one is running on Vista. What is your sense, should, I be planning on upgrading to Windows7. I am a Pro user. I am also very interested in knowing, how are you thinking through the upgrade process. Is there anything very compelling with Windows 7, that we cannot live with? Thanks- greatly appreciate your help

Compelling is a subjective operative. To me, upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista is compelling because 1) Performance and boot up time is much improved, 2) I like Aero, Aero peek, 3) I like the new redesigned task bar and the jump list feature in start menu and task bar, 4) Compatibility issues is not a problem I've faced.

There you have it, just these 3 are the most compelling reasons and you see they are subjective.

i dont think you should upgrade because windows has not released the final version so i think you should wait until then
He never asked if he should upgrade *now*. He's asking if he should be *planning* to upgrade (as in sometime in the near future). :rolleyes:

Well, you should 1st know that "upgrades" in the truest form from XP are not supported on Windows 7 - you can use XP as a qualifying product to install from upgrade media for Win7, but you'll get a fresh install of Windows 7, with your user data preserved. Programs, drivers, etc will all have to be reinstalled. Upgrading from Vista is supported 100%, just like any other Windows upgrade in the past (programs come along with the upgrade, settings, files, etc). Also note that while Win7 will run on lesser hardware than Vista would, you still shouldn't try to run as a "pro" user on anything with less than 2GB of RAM and a dual-core or multi-processor machine. Win7 will run on less, but it won't be as good an experience for you (also make sure you have a video card capable of running aero as well if you want the visual effects of Win7 enabled, of course).