Symantec endpoint protection

Hi, I had successfully created an addon .cab file for Symantec Endpoint protection and tested it by running it on an installed xp pro. It seemed to extract and install. But when I added it to an unattended installation of xp pro using nLite.While doing the unattended xp pro installation, it starts extracting but doesn't install. It fails to install saying " Error with installation log file. Make sure the log file exists and is writable." Please can someone help ? And I also made such an addon pack of office 2007. I tried installing it on an installed xp pro and it got installed after 10 minutes. But when I added it to an unattended installation of xp pro using nLite. While doing the unattended xp pro installation, it starts extracting and also seems to be installing. But after the process is done, it doesn't end up being installed because its not on the start menu neither in program files. Please can someone help with this too?

---I uniextract the exe and run the following from the runonce against the .msi

%path%\Symantec AntiVirus.msi /qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress

---and next install the newest definitions

%path%\symcdefsx86.exe /Q

---I uniextract the exe and run the following from the runonce against the .msi

%path%\Symantec AntiVirus.msi /qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=ReallySuppress

---and next install the newest definitions

%path%\symcdefsx86.exe /Q

But I have to add the Antivirus Symantec Endpoint Protection 32bit.exe file in the addon section of nlite and then write the commands on the runonce section of nlite. but what do i write for %path% in the commands you gave me? :unsure: Sry but im new with this.

Edited by timecatcher_3

you need to extract that exe and get the msi first. Those switches will not do anything against the .exe.

I use the OEM folder solution to make all necessary pieces available. The path will be wherever you decide to drop your apps. I am sure there are more rapid/automated solutions, but you will learn more about what is occuring during install following the guide.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

you need to extract that exe and get the msi first. Those switches will not do anything against the .exe.

I use the OEM folder solution to make all necessary pieces available. The path will be wherever you decide to drop your apps. I am sure there are more rapid/automated solutions, but you will learn more about what is occuring during install following the guide.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

I used the OEM solution but my $OEM$ doesn't have sub folders such as $1, $install etc. It could be because i am using a DELL XP SP3 CD and then I realized that some of the files get copied from the $OEM$ folder to the C:\DELL so I tried to call out the command given but surprising it didn't copy the symantec folder :huh: so I don't have a solution to installing it through Runonce. So please can u help? :unsure:

Hi I got the Runonce to work for Symantec :thumbup but the problem is when I put Office and and more software after it. I get an error saying "Another installation is in progress so please finish current installation then start the other." What is the command or swtich to make the runonce to wait till one installation finishes and then start the other? :unsure:

I think I do notice why I get that error because office takes too long to load up after customizing it from the office customization tool to install unattended and by that time nlite.cmd loads the other software and those get installed and office stops at the start of installation. Is there a command or switch for letting application install at a time then do the other? :unsure:

add the following key after endpoint:

Net Stop MsiServer

(runonce kind of start /wait's inherently, so my guess is symantec does not release the installer service in a timely manner, much like .net 1.1)

REG ADD %REGKEY%\001 /v 1 /D "net stop msiserver" /f

Edit the wildcard you set for your path to runonce (if you set one)

Edit the '001' and /v '1' to reflect the key and value that follow your symantec install. My example would be item 1 in folder 1.

The question is that I am not sure if the symantec is the one that doesn't release the windows installer in a timely manner or is it the other software that i am installing? I am installing symantec endpoint protection, windows live messenger silent standalone (which i extracted from \program files\common files) and office 2007 from runonce. I get that error from windows installer when the messenger is added to the runonce cmd file but when it isnt, I don't get the error but still only symantec installs and office's setup.exe does start but doesnt continue on and finish installation. I also tried switching the order of applications ( office first then symantec second) in the runonce cmd file. but its the same result symantec installs seamlessly then office starts but doesn't finish installation process.

I also tried removing symantec from the cmd file and let windows live messenger install first and then office 2007 second and both installed perfectly. I think I have to somehow let office 2007 install second after windows live messenger, but also stop the cmd file from starting the Symantec Anti Virus.msi file until office 2007 is done installing. So do u think this is possible? :unsure:

Edited by timecatcher_3

Hi all

Here my contribution

Since while I find I red info's at Symantec site of the how to silent install. The file concerned are setup.ini and setAid.ini. Since I made the modificatio, everything works like a charm.

Setup.ini

before

[startup]

CmdLine=/l*v "%TEMP%\SEP_INST.LOG"

after

[startup]

CmdLine=/qb RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

setAid.ini Add the here bottom lines

PREDEFINED_SMC_CONFIG]

; User configureable options

UIRebootMode=3

[LU_CONFIG]

CONNECT_LU_SERVER=0

That's it... Now, just run setup.exe It will be installed silently.

You can also make an installer with 7zip (it be compressed to 1 file of 72MB)

http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/

Tutorial

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1978

Video tutorial

http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4659

Good luck

coucou

Edited by coucou