editing driver.cab

robcalewar

It depends on what exactly you are doing, and how will removing the file affect the cab file's detection, will it

change (the cab properties) by affecting the cab md5 hash and file size - assuming a source file is looking to

verify the cab during an installation routine - you gave no info as to what this cab file is for or what file you

need to extract/remove. You may find the file online - who knows???

If all you need to do is "extract" a file from the cab (not actually remove it from the cab), I would "copy" the cab

to another folder (for editing), extract the contents and get your file - I like winrar, there are others. You are not

changing the file properties or location, you just need a file in the cab archive (you simply got your file from a "copy"),

and you can just delete the contents of your editing folder.

On the other hand, if you need to change the cab properties by removing a file from the cab archive (one less file)

you may need to edit any source files that point to this cab and provide the new file properties info - new size,

hash etc (whatever the source may be looking for), maybe nothing other than the name.

To be safe you need to elaborate on what exactly you are doing - the cab file, is it part of an application, an OS,

and what is the file inside the cab archive you need - the cab name and the name of the file you need are all important

at this point.

There are alot of smart guys in here who can advise on safely editing file properties and so on but they will need more

info - specifics to get it done right.

Mike

There is a problem with the hp aio 2175xi. So I first tried to use the huge bulkware that hp provided from their site, however while loading setup files it the fallowing error message; "Hewlett-Packard All-in-one

A more recent version of software for this product is already installed on

your computer.

Simply connect the device to your computer and the software will

automatically recognize the device."

This of course didn't work. So I installed each device manually using the windows add new hardware tool. The printer works, but the scanner still fails. I then uninstalled everything related to this aio machine, and used hp's "deep cleaner". I unplugged the device, ran ccleaner, cleaned the registry, and rebooted

I then tried to install again and I got the same error as before, "Hewlett-Packard All-in-one

A more recent version of software for this product is already installed on

your computer.

Simply connect the device to your computer and the software will

automatically recognize the device."

So I went online to see if anyone else had this same problem, found one accurate result. However the OP never really posted his fix.

http://tinyurl.com/qlwja4

That was obviously no help, so from here I just ran a search on C:\ to find any trace of this annoying printer. I found a few drivers in the driver.cab and that was it. So here I am on this forum trying to really understand the driver.cab before doing anything I regret.

I don't know if this thread should be moved. Sorry if I messed up.

Edited by robcalewar