Authenticode issues with nLite WinXP x86-64 SP2 install

iambk

Hello.

I've recently used nLite to create a custom build for WinXP x86-64 w/SP2 integrated VL install.

%windir%\security\logs\scesetup.log http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dckc7wcb_0r5wtjdg8

LAST_SESSION.INI from WinXP SP2 x86-64 install build #3: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dckc7wcb_1ctc8b3f5

LAST SESSION_U.INI from WinXP SP2 x86-64 install build #3: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dckc7wcb_2gt4tzbgr

WINNT.SIF from WinXP SP2 x86-64 install build #3: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dckc7wcb_3sxqm79hp

Everything seems to work well except for two things:

• "Program Files(x86) and "Program Files (x86)(x86)" folders were created. But this isn't the topic of this thread.
  • During both the install process and also when installing things like Adobe Flash, I get a dialog box that says "The driver software you are installing has not been properly signed with Authenticode" with the reason "the parameter is incorrect." A quick google search shows very few hits on this error.

I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I didn't disable any services or components, but I did change paths and UI settings. I've created other images as well that didn't have this problem. The one difference in this build (which I call build 3) that I remember is that I specified an alternative TEMP folder which is listed in WINNT.SIF as this:

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Temp

I also noticed that the file %windir%\security\logs\scesetup.log has a lot of warnings listed as follows:

"Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

Do others get these same warnings in the same frequency? I checked another system and it has a couple of these warnings but not nearly the number on this x86-64 system.

Thanks.

Edited by iambk

iambk, your title confused me. I think of x86 as 32 bit and x64 as 64 bit, which I run. I looked at my %windir%\security\logs\scesetup.log in both my real, un-nLited system and my nLited VM and have many of these errors you mention. See below:

Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error setting security on c:\windows\syswow64\vssadmin.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\vwipxspx.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\w32tm.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\waitfor.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\wbem\mofcomp.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\wbem\snmp\smi2smir.exe.

Warning 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Error setting security on c:\windows\syswow64\wbem\snmp\smi2smir.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\wbem\wmic.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\where.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\whoami.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\win.com.

Error setting security on c:\windows\syswow64\win.com.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\wins.exe.

Error setting security on c:\windows\syswow64\wins.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\wlbs.exe.

Error setting security on c:\windows\syswow64\wlbs.exe.

Configure c:\windows\syswow64\xcopy.exe.

File Security configuration was completed successfully.

----Un-initialize configuration engine...

I see you have trouble with a list. I had the same problem and discovered that if I just deleted the initial insertion, responded to the IE pop up error, then did it again, it worked fine. Another approach is to type {list] at the start, {*] in front of each item and {/list] at the end. I changed the first [ to { to avoid a mess in this reply. I think it would be easier if you simply attached your files, so we can use the tools we like to look at them.

Why did you disable OEM Preinstall? I remember seeing somewhere about nLite options and signed drivers. I can't seem to come up with anything now, but please do a search on this forum for it. Did you stick to my inculcations? - Please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. It looks like you have change winnt.sif after nLite runs. You may need full paths on your directory changes. Enjoy, John.

Thanks johnhc.

Sorry about the

• . I did the tags manually and simply forgot the closing tag that you mentioned.

I started with an .ISO image from Microsoft that already had SP2 integrated. I didn't make any non-nLite changes to the image.

I'll create another image using the same options but with either OEM Preinstall set to enabled or TEMP set as the normal value. I think that nLite said that having OEM Preinstall set to on prevented use of third-party drivers during the install process (eg having a SATA driver on a floppy) and I didn't see that I myself had a need for OEM Preinstall so I didn't enable it.

Think I'll install VirtualBox or similar. Might make this easier to test.

oh and the x86-64 thing. What Microsoft did referring to 32-bit x86 as x86 and 64-bit x86 as x64 is a bit odd. I remember years ago reading a post by linus torvalds where he asserted, I think, that x86-64 was the appropriate convention for the 64-bit superset of the x86 architecture, which was first called AMD64. Let me look this up. Ah, here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/2/23/139

http://kerneltrap.org/node/2466

Subject: Re: Intel vs AMD x86-64

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:47:21 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

>

> What about naming? IA-64 is taken, AMD64 is too specific, Intel's

> "IA-32e" sounds too vague, and I find x86-64 / x86_64 difficult to type.

> "x64" perhaps?

x86-64 it is. Maybe you can remap one of your function keys to send the

sequence ;)

This whole "ia32" crap has always been ridiculous - nobody has _ever_

called an x86 anything but x86, and Intel is just making it worse by

adding random illogical letters to the end.

In contrast, x86-64 tells you _exactly_ what it's all about, and is what

the kernel has always called the architecture anyway.

Linus

I'm obviously a bit bored right now. Except for the overwhelming amount of real work that I need to do right now.

iambk, where did you get your Windows ISO? Is it legal with a legal key? How did SP2 get integrated into it? Some have Windows folders that have been modified in some way that is not compatible with nLite. Have you tried making an ISO with an unmodified source to see if that has any of your problems? Please post a screen shot of the files/folders in your original source. Simply double click it to open it in Windows Explorer and take a screen shot. Enjoy, John.

The image I used I downloaded directly from Microsoft and I'm using a legal corporate product key. Microsoft offered images with and without SP2 already integrated. I selected the image that already had SP2 integrated.

Edited by iambk