Newbee stuck

kazanti

My first real try at this, I have a Dell Optiplex GX520

My goals are to create an answerfile with key/ timezone/ etc; slip in hotfixes post SP3; get .net structure in the install; and integrate the drivers needed.

I grabbed bashrat's driverpack for drivers

Used a fresh copy of XP with SP3

wrote down all the security fixes from windows and downloaded them into a folder

ran Nlite

It still asks me for region settings, computername, admin password, but not the windows key

the unknown devices pop up after install and want to install but it acts like the path is still not there.

here is the Last Session

Any and all help is appreciated and I take criticism well so if I did something dumb just let me know

LAST_SESSION.INI

kazanti, I am not sure why you are still being asked for inputs by Setup. What is the Unattended option NoPassExpSpec and why are you using it? Why have you disabled OEM and OOBE? I don't see the installer for either WMP11 or IE7, but there are updates to both. You must not have the correct drivers for your hardware, causing the New Hardware popups. I know nothing about bashrat's driverpack. I simply DL and use the drivers I need for my system. I see no text mode drivers. Do you have no SATA or RAID in your system? Please give it a try with the Unattended options without the ones I mentioned. I also suggest you get a virtual system (VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMware Server - all free) so you can test quickly without burning coasters. Please make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

"What is the Unattended option NoPassExpSpec and why are you using it?" NoPassExpSpec I believe refers to checking the no password expiration

"Why have you disabled OEM and OOBE?" Running a none OEM copy of windows for the disk I used to build so I assumed. OOBE because I dislike all the Out Of Box Experiance stuffs.

"drivers": I was attempting to do the http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/37/ but as you noted I must have implemented this incorrectly. I was attempting this more out of efficiency, if I change the components of this box or decide to redo one of the other machines at home (laptop or my son's computer) then I would not need to remake the disk.

Don't have SATA on this box but do on the laptop and most likely on my son's (gaming rig), was the other thing I had hoped that bashrats www.driverpack.net would encompass.

I don't see the installer for either WMP11 or IE7, but there are updates to both. I'll have to go back to the drawing board on these and see what I did wrong I attempted to use the WMP 11 slipstreamer referred to here http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133345 but must have missed something.

Thank you for the input looks like more reading and digging for me.

kazanti, I run with both OEM Preinstall enabled and OOBE not disabled. I get no BS during install, but I do remove Tour under Components-Operating System. I also run with Password expiration enabled, but the days set to 0. If WMP11 Slipstreamer is installed on your system, then you don't need to run it separately. You just include WMP11 installer and updates in the Hot Fix area and nLite will run WMP11 Slip for you. IE7 is here. I think RyanVM forums also have driver packs. It does have Update Packs. You might check them out. If you place the key in nLite, you will need a different CD for each computer. Right now, I think your goal should be to get one running install CD and go from there. Have fun, John.