Locked files from another windows

HawkAgent

Hello,

Lately I've been having a problem with a virus, now I can't even log into my Windows account (which is password protected) anymore, however there are some files which are important so I had to find a way so I can access my files. so I installed new instance of Windows XP on an other partition, however the files in the old 'documents and settings' folder seems to be locked, because when I try to open it it says 'Access Denied'. Is there anyway I can get into my files?

Thanks in advance,

Wailon

Sure. You need to mess with the permissions. First make sure you have simple file sharing off under folder options.

When in the security tab, click Advanced > Owner. Your are going to see Current owner of this item (S-1-5 something.....). On the bottom, Change owner to: click Administrators, apply etc.

If you need to do this a lot, do what I do. Create a batch file named TakeOwnership.bat...

cacls %1 /E /G YOUR_ADMIN_NAME_HERE:F

Put the batch file in your sendto folder.

Right click whatever is locked and sendto TakeOwnership

If there are some deny permissions, you're gonna have to delete those.

Edited by -X-

Hello, thanks for the reply!

I'm getting kinda confused. I have to turn the file sharing off under folder options, do you mean Properties, tab Shared, the option 'Make this folder private' ?, because that option is disabled on my current Windows, as displayed on the following screenshot

filesharing.jpg

w430.png

Also I gotta got lost when you said "When in the security tab, click Advanced > Owner." Where can I find this?

Thanks,

Wailon