My Computer (not responding)

mongo66

Windows Explorer hangs after running CHKDSK with the "Automatically fix file system errors" option in Vista SP1. This occurs only on NTFS volumes. The disk check completes normally (without errors), but after I close the message box, Explorer stops responding for 15-20 seconds and then resumes. :huh: I don't experience this with FAT32 partitions.

I ran into this problem while doing a routine disk check. As far as I can remember, this has never occurred before. I've checked the event viewer logs, but have come up empty handed. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Any ideas?

I'm not 100% sure if this is true what I'll say but I think when you use option "Automatically fix file system errors" (and you can use it only on non system partition without rebooting) Windows need to unmount the partition and than it check for errors. After it finishes it needs to mount it back, so depending on your partition size it may took some time.

Cheers ;)

I wasn't running CHKDSK on the system partition; it would require a reboot (like you mentioned). I was doing a routine disk check on my data partitions. I have three hard drives; one used for OSes, the other two for storage. Maybe there's something wrong with my Vista configuration, perhaps a conflict somewhere. I've been using Vista on this machine for a year, never had any issues until yesterday. Everything else is working normally. No luck so far in isolating the problem though... :no:

Using option "Automatically fix file system errors" is the same as if you would type chkdsk /f. I think I have similar situation, but I just need to wait long before CMD starts to react again, and maybe system is little less responsive.

Cheers ;)