New at this: Router, Wireless: best to bridge connections and how?

Hi all. I have been attempting to configure my first wireless network, btwn 2 pc, one running Xp and the other Vista, which are both in front of me. I have a Netgear WGT624 wireless router, and and a Westell 6100 modem. I have the modem hooked to the router, which then goes to the XP box, and have an Internet connection now. Initially i was able to establish a connection on the Vista box, using a USB network adapter, but i could not get a secured connection, likely because i did not know you had to do the http://192.168.0.1 setup at Netgear, which is where i am now. My questions are what will make the best connection.

On the Netgear page I did not choose a Domain name, and for Internet IP Address i choose "Get Dynamically From ISP" as that is how I am set up in XP Network connections, and likewise for DNS, but some say i need to manually choose these. Then there is the Router Mac address, and i am not sure if it need to leave it at Use Default Address or choose "Use Computer MAC Address "or "Use This MAC Address " or where they are.

Then there is the issue of Bridged Mode. This link http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7815 advises another route (among others) that would give a better connection, which requires configuring it for use with FastAccess, which sounds like A Bell south feature. My ISP is Verizon (i do not think they use PPPoE)

As you can see, i need some advice as i am only on first base in this area of PCs. Thanks for any help.

I am connected now to the 2nd PC, but it disconnects when i try to up the security from Open to WPA2 personal. On the Netgear page the Security Options are None, WEP and WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key ) - use WPA-PSK standard encryption. These PCs are for house use, in a neighborhood if it makes any difference.

=======

Update. Both are connected, running WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key ) - use WPA-PSK standard encryption, as seeing no response here i just went ahead and on the Netgear page. And was also able to update the firmware. So praise the Lord it all works now! I still do not know about the other suggestions on configuration that the link talks about, but for now i will leave alone, and see how good a connection i have when i move this receptor PC upstairs.

Edited by PeaceByJesus