[REQ] Help using "[HOWTO] Unattended CD with BartPE, Tutorial in

This post is in reference to: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=68252

I'm thrilled at the notion of automating the creation of two partitions; then seamlessly initiating my unattended windows xp+driverpack install on one partition while leaving the other partition for storage: I want to set 'C' to 10 GB NTFS and allow the remaining disc space to be 'D' (also NTFS). This HOWTO seems promising...but following the guide leaves much to the imagination...Here's how I interpret the desired structure for the root of my AIO disc per the HOWTO guide: contains i386 (created by BartPE) and a folder called "xp" containing all UA windows files.

Here's what I think I understand:

-BartPE has an i386 folder that must reside at the root of your disc image in order to boot to the BartPE environment

-The previously configured Windows XP Unattended files should be placed in a arbitrarily named seperate folder('xp' in my intepretation of the desired root structure) in the root of the disc image to be referenced by Winnt32.exe

-BartPE partitions the HDD using a script as specified by a txt.

-Winnt32.exe is started in the BartPE environment; which copies the UA XP install folders to the specified partition ('C'), reboots the computer, and the UA install proceeds as usual.

Here's what I don't understand:

-Is there a particular BartPE plugin that allows for disc partitioning, or is this a functionality inherent to the environment?

I may have more questions, but if I'm misunderstanding the concepts presented by ProClub I won't waste anyone's time with them.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mrquincy

-Is there a particular BartPE plugin that allows for disc partitioning

No, there is no special partition plugin. Diskpart.exe is included by default.

There is a autorun plugin by default. ProClub add a autorun1.cmd, compare step 6.

I am making progress, but having issues building my own BartPE disc. I have isolated the problem to be with PEBuilder. I am trying to simply build a test BartPE (no media output), edit the bartpe.bmp wallpaper, run PEBuilder again using F5 to create the ISO. I am doing this to prove to myself that I can alter BartPE's file structure and still burn a bootable disc (without going through the trouble to add my windows UA folder)

I have discovered that if I build an image and select create ISO or burn DVD from scratch...I have a bootable disc. HOWEVER:

If I build a BartPE folder...change nothing in the filestructure...and then try the F5 build option I get a non-bootable coaster. (gives error "CDBOOT: NTLDR not found") I have verified that SETUPLDR.BIN is in i386 and it is in caps (though I changed nothing in the build folder so I would have no reason to believe this had been altered, I saw lots of threads claiming that this was almost always the cause for my error msg)

Considering I didn't make any changes at all to the BartPE folder before hitting F5 I'm forced to assume that the issue is with PEBuilder v3.1.10a. So I tried building an ISO using IMGBURN:

Bootable disc

No emulated type

boot file: BartPE output bootsect.bin

Load Segment: 07C0

Sectors To Load: 4

File System: ISO9660

ISO9660 Restrictions:

Folder/File Name Length: Level X - 219 Characters

Character Set: Standard

Allow More Than 8 Directory Levels

Allow More Than 255 Characters In Path

Allow Files Without Extensions

Don't Add ';1' Version Number To Files

(complements of CDOB :thumbup )

I chose the BOOTSECT.BIN file in the root of my BartPE folder and still the resulting ISO gives me CDBOOT: Can not find NTLDR error message. CDOB, if you're still out there, could you attach your IMGBURN build project file for me to try? Perhaps I am missing something there...

PS- I'm testing my ISO's using VirtualPC so I know the problem is not with my CD-R's.

Thanks again in advance!!!

If I build a BartPE folder...change nothing in the filestructure...and then try the F5 build option I get a non-bootable coaster. (gives error "CDBOOT: NTLDR not found")
Create a ISO image always: at first run and at F5.

As for further PEBuilder/BartPE internal questions, this get offtopic here.

There is http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showforum=30

I'm using PEBuilder to build a ISO image, don't have a ImgBurn build project.

• 2 weeks later...

I have accomplished my unattended installation goals thanks to the forums here at MSFN. I plan on tweaking my project and checking back here periodically for fun; I've visited many forums and this is definitely one of the most informative I've ever encountered. If anyone is interested in a step-by-step how to on what I've done to accomplish multi-partition, nLited, XP UA disc with apps pre-installed (unattended office 2k7 included) please let me know and I would be more than happy to provide documentation for the whole process. The only touch time needed is to select a boot device and "press any key to boot from CD"

Thank you to all!

Hi all,

Am new to this forum but have been following it for quite some time.

Must congratulate all on an excellent job so far.

I have a problem that the unattended install changes the second partition letter (I need it to be W:) :(

I can narrow it down to the unattended.txt file.

mrquincy would you mind detailing your setup for me please?

Thankyou, and keep up the excellent work!

Hello Brucet! I have received another request via PM to write a step-by-step to accomplishing unattended partitioning, driver/app integration, and OS configuration. I will be working on a full featured guide this week...but in the meantime let me give you some basics to my successful build:

-I have used unattended.txt methods before...but I had more success using nLite for the most customization latitude.

-Windows will not let you automate multiple partitions right out of the box. You must use a pre-execute environment to accomplish this. I used diskpart which comes in BartPE.

-Try working with ProClub's guide posted here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=68252. It will help you along the way but I understand that it is full of gaps. I will be writing my own guide in the coming week to address those points which are not addressed explicitly. However...ProClub does a great job explaining how to achieve automated disk partitioning using BartPE, which is your immediate goal.

Hello Brucet! I have received another request via PM to write a step-by-step to accomplishing unattended partitioning, driver/app integration, and OS configuration. I will be working on a full featured guide this week...but in the meantime let me give you some basics to my successful build:

-I have used unattended.txt methods before...but I had more success using nLite for the most customization latitude.

-Windows will not let you automate multiple partitions right out of the box. You must use a pre-execute environment to accomplish this. I used diskpart which comes in BartPE.

-Try working with ProClub's guide posted here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=68252. It will help you along the way but I understand that it is full of gaps. I will be writing my own guide in the coming week to address those points which are not addressed explicitly. However...ProClub does a great job explaining how to achieve automated disk partitioning using BartPE, which is your immediate goal.