How Do You Remove a Theme That Was Integrated Using nLite?

skoobiedu

I integrated a theme into an XP Pro x64 disc using nLite. Now I want to remove (disintegrate) the theme, but nLite doesn't show the theme anywhere. I've found the location of the theme in the disc files, but removing them doesn't work correctly, I get a 'cannot find file' message when doing an install from Windows. So, I wanted to know, how do I finish removing the theme? :huh:

Thanks

Edited by skoobiedu

skoobiedu, we don't really know what you are doing, but I suspect you are running nLite on a source folder that has already been processed by nLite. This will not work. You can reuse the same Preset (Last Session - instructions to tell nLite how to process the source), not the same same source. So, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Your theme should show up under the Desktop Theme tab of the Unattended section. Highlight your theme and click Remove. Enjoy, John.

Thanks, I'll remember that, but is there a way to remove the theme outside of nLite? I understand it would be easier to just start with a clean copy, but it would be nice to know how the theme was integrated into the source files so that I could remove it.

skoobiedu, I did a search on my source folder and found references to my theme in five different files. I suggest you do the same. In DOSNET.INF may well be the place that the theme is referenced for install. If you can figure out how to remove it from here you may be in luck. I have two curiosity questions: why do you want to remove it and why do you refrain from starting over? Enjoy, John.

Thanks, I'll try that and see if it works.

I'm not refraining from starting over. If I can resolve the issue without having to recopy the source files, and reapply the tweaks I've made to the source files, then that's better. It may not be faster, but from my point of view it's easier.

UPDATE:

----------

I edited the DOSNET.INF file and did another test install, and I didn't encounter any missing file messages. Thanks for your help. I think you can see the value in knowing, even just a little bit, how the Windows setup process works. Remove the files, and remove a few lines from a file, and Windows setup no longer knows about them.

Edited by skoobiedu