Unable to integrate NIC drivers into boot.wim

Hi,

I've been struggling for 2 days now trying to get the NIC drivers for a HP 2730p Tablet PC into the boot.wim from a Vista SP1 disk or Server 2008 disk (I've tried both). This is to be used with an unattended WDS build and I've been mounting the image using mountrw and using the peimg /inf command to add the drivers.

At first I thought I had the incorrect drivers so built the PC using the Vista DVD and then installed the drivers and confirmed they were the right ones.

I've just added the drivers to a normal WinPE image (which created using the copype.cmd line) and that works as well, althought it does take a minute before the network card initializes or gets an IP address.

For some reason the boot.wim isn't detecting the drivers and is producing the error "WdsClient: An error occurred while starting networking: a matching network card driver was not found in this image." and I think the issues is caused by the time it takes the NIC to initialize but have no idea how to get this working.

Has anyone else come accross this problem or has any ideas how to get this working?

Cheers,

Charlie

Edited by jo3y

Ok, so I've just booted and received the same message and then pressed Shift - F10 to get the command prompt, tried ipconfig and no network adapter information is displayed. Ran WPEUTIL /networkinitialize and netcfg -winpe but without success, then used drvload to reload the drivers and it then picked up an ip address....

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm integrating the drivers into the image using the exact same command line I used for the standard winpe img i.e. "peimg /inf=[Driver location] [mounted imaged location]\windows" then "imagex /commit /unmount [mounted image location]

The standard winpe image works fine, the modified boot.wim doesn't :blink:

I've sorted it now, looks like the boot.wim contains two images, drivers need to be added to the 2nd image in the file for them to be available when booting through WDS. So the image had to be moutned using the follwing command:

imagex /mountrw boot.wim 2 [path where you want to mount the image]

Just a note, the WinPE image(s) in boot.wim are 32-bit

(including Ghost 12+)

Knuckle-Head Me had to have ALL64BIT and spent 2 days trying to fold in 64bit drivers...

Call this the Joke-Of-The-Day but we have all done dumb things

Note: fold the 64-bit drivers into install.wim and they will over-ride the 32-bit ones.

Edited by Arrow22