nlite & xp sp3

maxsoft

Have a previous created cd with xp and sp2 integrated (produced via "Barts pe-builder"). This has worked

very good. Now I use Nlite to also integrate sp3 and at the same time put in the product code for unattended install.

Everything runs fine. burn afterwords with nero. The New Cd boots fine, startup ok, press F6 for install 3-party

sata-driver from diskette, it asks for it, displays "Promise...", accepts it (ulsata2), runs further until

"starting windows". Then : "cannot find ulsata2 on the cd" ! Never had such problems before on cd-s

produced via "barts pe-builder". Is it not ok to slipstream sp3 on top of sp2 ????

regards

maxsoft

Edited by maxsoft

Well Johnc's going to beat you up for nlite-ing a previously n-lited source.

But you should just be able to change the BIOS setting for the SATA controller to 'ATA mode' or something other than the AHCI, and get beyond your current state.

I would recommend adding the SATA drivers via BART PE.

I slipped my SP3 into an SP2 source manually, i know that functions ok.

Well, I beat for this working on a previous nlited source, too. ;)

If you`ve got a clean XPCD (what SP doesn`t matter), you better start with this and nLite right from the beginning.

A XPCD created with PE-Builder isn`t a good choice to work on as a source.

Then : "cannot find ulsata2 on the cd" ! Never had such problems before on cd-s

produced via "barts pe-builder". Is it not ok to slipstream sp3 on top of sp2 ????

Sounds like you integrated drivers with nLite and then press F6 on installation.

You mustn`t do that - your drivers are on CD, there`s no need for Disk. It crashes the drivers, as you see.

Ok, so its not right to use an already slipstreamed source xp-cd. So I tried an original xp.cd as source to nlite,

integrated first sp2, then sp3. Then put in xp-key for unattended install, and finally make the iso. Did NOT

integrate the sata.driver, because this xp-key is a corp licence for install on many pc-s. Therefore I wanted

a general install-cd where I can insert different drivers via F6 at install time.

So all went well and cd was burned via nero. BUT: Installing XP from this cd, using F6 for promise sata-driver,

still results in the before mentioned "ulsata2"- error after "starting windows". Guess nlite does not support

F6 drivers, and that they have to be integrated first ? Or did I make a mistake integrating SP2 before sp 3?

Or did I make a mistake integrating SP2 before sp 3?

Integration of SP2 before SP3 is not needed, please slipstream only SP3.

because this xp-key is a corp licence for install on many pc-s

Is it commercial use? Please read the nLite-Licence!

Guess nlite does not support F6 drivers

Is it an Unattended-Installation? If so, F6 will not be functionally.

ok, thanks. So I have misunderstood. We are a repair shop, got several pc-s for fixing from

big customer who has a volume xp licence. Got the cd-s from them, and thought we could

streamline the process using nlite unattended with sp3, only adding drivers via F6 for the different

machines. Hope we have done nothing wrong so far with regards to licence. Is it ok to continue

using nlite only slipstreaming sp3, or should we stop using it all together ?

Now I use Nlite to also integrate sp3 and at the same time put in the product code for unattended install.

The New Cd boots fine, startup ok, press F6 for install 3-party

sata-driver from diskette, it asks for it, displays "Promise...", accepts it (ulsata2), runs further until

"starting windows". Then : "cannot find ulsata2 on the cd" !

This is a wellknown behaviour of the Windows Setup routine. If it finds a WINNT.SIF file, it expects, that all needed drivers have been integrated into the CD/DVD. The F6 drivers will be loaded and accepted during the TEXTMODE part of the installation, but after the reboot Setup doesn't find them anymore.

The combination of an "Unattended install" with the F6/floppy method only works, if you disable the "OEMPreinstall" option.

Is it ok to continue

using nlite only slipstreaming sp3, or should we stop using it all together?

I am not authorized to answer this question, but there are a lot of other methods to get an actual Service Pack installed.

Nlite does make more changes to the install than a manual slipstream. I would go manual unattended, with your minor modifications to the source it will not take much longer.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

I would take their source, and use the integrate switch for sp3.

For the driver portion:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=72125

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=94068

*****everything below may very well have be overkill, but the only way it worked for me*****

I got mine to finally stick by referencing in the winnt.sif, txtsetup.sif, and dosnet.inf

and copying all driver files into the textmode folder

and then copy the .sys into every root below (source i386, $oem$, $$, and then ran makecab on the sys in i386)

Edited by iamtheky