when to add regtweaks

I have all my registry tweak 1 one .reg file.

Just wondering if it's a good idea to import my registry tweaks in the SVCPACK.inf.

1. What's more preferred place to import the tweaks in SVCPACK.inf or CMDLINE.txt? Both equal?

2. The files in $OEM$ distribution does all file need to adhere to the 8.3 naming convention to work properly?

3. Does the below registry actually going to benefit modern day PC's? e.g. Q9550, P5Q...etc or PII 940, DS4H...etc

; Allows boot files to be placed optimally on the hard-drive for faster boots
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction]
"Enable"="Y"

[s]; Prefetcher tweak (faster booting) boot and program prefetch use 00000003 or Boot only 00000002
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003[/s]
XP default is 3 already.

; Faster reboot time
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"EnableQuickReboot"="1"

Thanks

Edited by coorrel

1. Personally, I launch an NT command script from CommandLines.txt. And from that script I install all of my Registry Tweaks from inside individual .reg files for each product/application/hardware driver.

2. Long file names are supported inside $OEM$

3. I leave Windows XP prefetch alone (as it it out-the-box).

As I understand it (and I can be wrong), yes, prefetch still has a positive impact on modern day PCs. This is because the slowest part of any PC system is the hard disk drive seek time—how fast the hard drive actuator arm and read/write head move radially across the rotating platter's surface. Seek times have not improved significantly in at at least five years (average about 8.5ms). This is what Windows prefetch seeks to minimize, by trying to copy frequently loaded system files into a particular area of the hard disk drive to decrease the "thrashing" of the actuator arm back and forth, allowing these files to be read in a more continuous stream.

In my opinion this works for a time, until you install a number of hardware driver updates, and windows updates, which means things get dropped from and added to the prefetch cache, and (in my opinion) are likely to get fragmented. So I clean out this cache about once every 6 months (along with a thorough registry and hard disk drive defrag) to let Windows start caching things fresh again.