Internet Explorer 8

DreamSkape

Hi All,

Most of you have already tried the IE beta as well as the released version. Though they were not able to remove connectivity problem as the IE 8 starts, it is not a big problem as you have to simply press the F5 button.

The problem is that it says that it has the facility to keep the cookies related to the sites I frequently visit on to so that I do not have to type in the password and ID. It says to keep those cookies, I just need to add the site to MyFavorites Menu Tab. I did that. But still whenever, I clean the cookies (normally 2-3 times a day), it removes those cookies as well. I added them to the other option in Privacy Tab. But still it does not work.

Any Ideas on how to keep the google cookies and other sites so that I do not have to provide login info again and again? Currently I am usig autotext to avoid typing in the whole passwords and IDs.. but that is just an alternate option..

I forgot to mention, in the privacy tab in advanced button, I have enabled automatic cookie overriding... I have set to accept the first party cookies directly while disallowing third party cookies. Can this be the problem or are the MS people lying about the feature?

Edited by puntoMX

IE8 indeed does not delete cookies or any other cache specifically associated with a favorite. If you are seeing the cookies get deleted, then you are either deleting all browsing history with the "preserve favorites website data" option unchecked, or you have a bug (or the cookie is expired, in which case it will get deleted the next time the garbage collector goes into your TIF to find expired data to delete, but this would happen regardless of if you deleted manually or not).

Thanks for confirming the IE8 claim. However, I delete browsing history with the preserve favorites (the topmost option) checked. But still they get deleted. As I use google throughout the day, I do not like typing in the ID n password. So I created autotext for those even before the IE8 came. This seemed good news for me that IE8 would retain the data.

But you say that there may be a bug. How to diagnose that? Meanwhile I will checkout the MS support once more as soon as I am free.

Thanks again

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 12:57:10 AM IST

• 2 weeks later...
IE8 indeed does not delete cookies or any other cache specifically associated with a favorite. If you are seeing the cookies get deleted, then you are either deleting all browsing history with the "preserve favorites website data" option unchecked, or you have a bug (or the cookie is expired, in which case it will get deleted the next time the garbage collector goes into your TIF to find expired data to delete, but this would happen regardless of if you deleted manually or not).

--------------------

I am still facing the same problems. I checked the keep favorites in delete browsing history. I guess as you said the cookies expire. Does this mean that they do not refresh or overwrite the current cookie with login information when I log in again. I am on Google most of the day. I access Yahoo as well as some other sites like PZ10 and of course MSFN. Everytime I am just using the autotext to login, while IE promises to keep the logins, or it promises to keep only cookies that expire after 48 hours? Is there any workaround for this. Even in the external cleaner (I use CCleaner), I have expemted these cookies from being deleted but does not work for me.

Any suggestions or workarounds!

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Saturday, February 21, 2009, 11:22:47 AM IST

Well, for one, make sure you're using the RC1 bits and not the beta bits. Second, as to what's being deleted, you may want to contact the admins of those sites to see what is stored in the cookies, and for how long, and what privacy policy is set on them when downloaded (all of these things can affect whether or not a cookie is purged in IE8). Also, by default, no, old cookies that have expired are not overwritten, they're replaced with new cookies. Again, I would strongly suggest emails to the webmaster@ the domains you're having issues with, and also perhaps using the IE8 newsgroups to see if there's something specific that is happening in your case that should not be.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it will be more beneficial to write to the webmasters and get the thing confirmed. But for google, I will have to check out the groups or is there any address wherein we can contact any of their representatives?

But for all other sites, i can access them so I wiil be sending them mails right now and will notify others too as soon as I get the reply.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Monday, February 23, 2009, 1:40:09 PM IST