Prob w/ XP MEdia Center Ed

I installed a new copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition on emach T6420. Everything seemed to be working fine until I updated from MS Update site. Now, the CD and DVD's will not work. When I try to download the update rollup 2, it tells me that this is only available for version 2005. I checked the computer properties and it has ver 2002 listed there. The Media Center settings under general tab has ver. 2005. The OS disc that I purchased has Windows XP Media Center Version 2005. Before I formatted and installed a new copy of XP Med Cent Ed, I had the same problem while trying to play some CD's and DVD's. I changed the CD-RW drive and it was working fine until the updates. Can anyone help please?

Well, I put the original dvd player back in and now it will play some of the cd's that I recorded but not the ones that I purchased. Still can't play DVD's. When I try to play a music cd I get error COOD1163. I tried to update to media player 11 but setup will not continue unless I install update rollup 2. I tried to install Media player 9 but it also will not install, says I have a more current version and setup will not continue. I tried the update rollup 2 again and I still get the error message ' this update is o nly available for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

<<<lost...help

It sounds like you may not have the codecs for playing DVDs, maybe they were hosed with the update.

If you still have the discs that came with the drives try reinstalling WinDVD, or Intervideo, or whatever player came with them. There are also some OpenSource solutions, try starting here: http://www.opensourcewindows.org/ or try http://softpedia.com to see about a DVD player. Windows Media Player, although it sets itself up as the default DVD player, is incapable of playing DVDs of there are no codecs for it installed on the system.

Hope this info helps.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Ver 2002 is the ver of XP and 2005 is the ver of MCE which you have confirmed. The MCE 2005 ships with WMP10 and will therefore not accept WMP9. I don't use WMP11 on MCE2005 since it does not allow auto playlists to be created. The procedure I follow when installing is as follows:

1. After installing MCE 2005 and drivers and security software, install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 and .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

2. Then install Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

3. Then install the October 2006 Update Rollup for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB925766)

Then I install the Nvidia PureVideo Decoder or you can use the InterVideo Decoder as well. Setup your guide and remote and and other finer details and thats it for MCE 2005.