gwbasic printing problem after SP2.1

My 93 year old father uses win98se, He has built many programs using gwbasic and fox plus that he still likes to use. However, after installing the unofficial sp2.1 the generic text printer on lpt1 will not print. The gwbasic programs print with no problems with win98se only. I have tried a clean install of win98se with the SP2.1, following several different methods on the discussion board. I have reloaded the drivers for the lpt1, and the generic text printer; all with no success. If you print a test page for the printer, it prints properly and you can subsequently print from the gwbasic and fox plus built programs. However, once you shut down and restart, you are back to square one. I would like to solve this problem because my father has a difficult time remebering how to go into the control panel and run the printer test page. Any assistance would be appreciated. :(

Thanks Joseph SW and thydreamwalker. I have it setup to print directly to the printer with no spooling. What amazes me is it will work after you print a test page, but not before! Maybe the developer of SP2.1 has some ideas. I am very open to ideas from anyone!!