Windows Time Service

vinodh

After installing Windows 7 Beta 1, I tried to synchronize my clock with the internet and was immediately shown an error that the Windows Time Service was not running and that I should "contact my Administrator". I tried synchronizing anyway and suddenly the clock updated. I checked the service and saw that it was running. I restarted my system and checked it again and noticed that this service had stopped. I checked the clock and it gave me the "contact my Administrator" message again. It seems like this service is not running on startup even though it is on the list of startup services. I did a comparison to a Vista machine and my settings are identical. Normally this would not be a problem but this is a critical service if you want to login to a web server. I am busy trying to setup a forum and when I registered on a website hosting service, I got into a continuous loop of logging in because of this service that's not running. Re-installing Windows 7 did not fix the problem. I also tried various things including some reg fixes from Microsoft with no effect.

I would prefer using Windows 7 since it runs much, much faster than XP on my system, however, this problem is forcing me to stop using it. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by vinodh

While searching for a fix I found this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discuss...me-service.html

Seems as if some other people have experienced this as well. If Microsoft disabled this service by default and only allow to run when required,then it will make logging in and administering a web server or forum impossible. Even when I manually start the service, I can't logon to the server properly. Unless i'm completely wrong about this or someone else has some better ideas, i'll have to keep searching for a fix. :unsure:

I found the a fix for this problem on www.sevenforums.com. Here's what I did:

After rebooting your system:

Go to Start/All programs/Accessories and right-click Command prompt and "Run as Administrator"

(If you are prompted for password, close the window and do it a again. It should then go directly to the admin command prompt.)

Then type in the fol. commands and press "enter" after each:

net start w32time

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

Reboot your system. I added the extra net start at the beginning since the time service most probably won't be running. Also, after you reboot check for that "the windows time service is not running..." message in your date/time settings. It should be gone. Now, you should be able to synchronize to the Internet time with one click. I also tested it by logging on to a web server. It worked 100%.