Question about Wise Installation Studio and Installers in General

chyronn

Hello, i've acquired Wise Installation Studio (WIS) in an attempt to try and repackage DivX Installer so i can install it silently. so far i'm finding WIS very intuitive to use and followed the tutorial with satisfying results. however i would like to know how to package an application already installed on a host computer. do i simply go to the Program Files directory and locate the folder the program is in, or is there another way? i also gathered from the tutorial that in order to add reg keys i would go to the registry entry and copy it from there. but i'm wondering how easy it is to actually re-package an application.

any help is much appreciated

thanks

Hi

It all depends on the application you are trying to repackage. Basically, all you need to do is to emulate the original installer's actions.

To find which registry entries are created/deleted/changed when installing a program, you can use Regshot.

To find what a process is doing, use Sysinternals Process Monitor.

And finally, use your common sense as you will need to register some dll file, or ax files, etc.

It is easier to make an installer knowing all this beforehand.

Personally, i stopped trying to repackage DivX since i got an AutoIt script that does install it silently without many components. Really a time saver.

Good luck!

About RegShot: use it carefully (verify if the compare output have not errors - go to

the real registry using regedit and check). Sometimes messed up some value names or values

even in the last version.