How to configure Addons' post-install properties?

simurqq

I'm quite new at MSFN and currently using RyanVM's integrator to make an unattended CD for XPSP3. Now I'm stuck in the middle of the process (I've only integrated SP3 to MSDN edition of Windows XP Pro SP2 and halted :) and would like to integrate some addons which I use often such as FlashGet, Adobe Reader 9.0, K-Lite Mega Pack, etc. Hence my question:

Is it somehow possible to change install configuration of a specific addon so that I don't do this when XP setup finishes. E.g., how can I change the properties of a particular addon (for FlashGet this will be: changing the number of simultaneous downloads, for Adobe - changing from Viewing Pages Continuously (by default) to Single Page, etc.) before the XP setup??? Is there any config file or INI/INF files inside individual addon packs to apply the changes to???

Thanks in advance!

It all depends on how the program manages its preferences and options. Normally its either via the registry or an INI file. If its an INI file then that's easy, all you do is crack open the installer archive using some tool and edit the ini file entries that you want to change and then pack it all up again.

If its registry entries that a application uses then you need to use INF commands to add these. This guide here is a good start on how to do this.

I am not sure about the best tool to use to unpack and repack installers, but maybe some else here can comment.

Edited by jfcarbel

Great thanks for clarification, jfcarbel!

Well, as far as the unpackers are concerned, I currently use Uniextractor 1.6 but it is almost useless for 80% of available installers, especially those made by INNO Setup or Installshield. Although it is quite well for RAR and ZIP files. But to be honest, the only time I would care about Uniextractor is if I didn't have Winrar or 7-Zip in hand :)

Anyway, what I am thinking now (in my quest to find a rapid solution :) ) is to copy the modified INI files (e.g. for Opera and IE7 Pro) to $OEM$ folder and then copy it to an install folder after setup finishes. What do you think?