nLite - HHCTRL.OCX error and Outlook error 0x80050154

lees

Hi,

I have nLited XP SP2 and everything works well except for a couple of things. I forgot to take a few things out eg internet explorer and outlook express. So I am going to redo the nLite, but there are a couple of things I want to check before I go through it all again.

On opening I get the error message HHCTRL.OCX, I have looked it up, but I can't actually find a definite answer, some people say it has to do with audio and others say different things. Does anyone have an idea? Was it something I took out of the nLite that I shouldn't have?

The other error with Outlook 2003 is that I have managed to get everything working, moved .pst files etc, but when I try to receive mail it comes up with the error 0x80040154. It's not the mail account, that I have checked. I have repaired and reinstalled, it didn't work. I have found that it has something to do with a missing file, .dll which I know nothing about!! Is there something I need to do in the nLite setup to ensure that Outlook will work?

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanx

You have to keep Outlook Express to get Outlook working.

What I have done to keep my installation small and not having those problems is keeping Outlook Express (so unchecking in the list of things for removal) and then make the %ProgramFiles%/Outlook Express directory empty after install. No problems with Outlook (version 2002 Professional).

How you can do that?

In the personal settings for installation (in dutch: Onbeheerde Setup) I have added the following to RunOnce:

del "%PROGRAMFILES%\Outlook Express\*.*" /F/Q > NUL 2>&1

I have done the same for system, because the files there are not used anymore:

del "%SYSTEMROOT%\system\*.*" /F/Q > NUL 2>&1

Edited by XP_NO

Thanx for that, I had a feeling that I had to keep OE from what I had read and tried to understand!!! I am not that experienced with computers and have been trying to get my EEE PC 1000 with nLited XP on now for a month, and everytime I feel like I am somewhere, it all goes to pot!!

I am not sure I understand what you have explained, do I just copy exactly what you have writen below in nLite?

I appreciate your time.

In your case, because you are saying you are not that experienced with computers, it is probably better to use the safe settings from Nlite and not play too much with other settings.

It is very easy to mark things for removal but afterwards experience the problems when some software is not working...

About my lines; it is enough to keep Outlook Express in; you can forget my lines, those are used to remove some files you do not need, but is not vital for your Office / Outlook installation.

You can find the 'safe' settings at the bottom menu of Nlite.

Thanx, I am jst going through a couple of nLite guides and seeing the differences and looking up the definitions (just makes me feel stupid!!). But thanx for the help. Happy New Year!!