Root Drive Space

sheikh shah

I have a 40 GB HDD with partitions of 10 GB each.

My root drive has the following folders.

windows =4.5 GB

Program Files = 1.64 GB

Documents & Settings = 529 MB

MSOCACHE = 290 MB

this totals to around 7 GB but the free space available shown is only 300-400 MB, Is the rest 1.6GB reserved by the VIrtual memroy/pagefile ?

2ndly a friend said that WIndows folder shd not be more than 2-3GB. He suggested that there would b a lot of unwanted materail in that folder that could be thrown away. I do clean up my partitons which means my "Temporary Internet files" folder is usually not filled much. Plz suggest how n where to find that garbag that I can del to clean up "Windows" folder in the Root drive?

I would be grateful if u guide me in detail in this matter.

Regards,

Sheikh

it could be your pagefile.

go to control panel-> system-> advanced tab-> performance settings button.

click on the advanced tab and you'll see your page file listed under Virtual Memory (lower part of the window).

recommended is 1 and 1/2 times your current ram. If you want you can change the location to another partition if you wish from the same window.

to clean up all your temp i use "CCleaner" and "Cleanup!", google each of them and you'll find your download locations, both are freeware.

I checked the hidden file in the root drive WIndows folder and yes I found

"$ntuninstall"... subfolders under the windows folder which may be the reason y I see windows folder taking 4.5GB instead of 2-3 GB

but Out of the 10GB approx & GB is occupied by the ('Windows', 'Documents & Settings', 'MSOCACHE' & 'Program Files') folders; then Y do I see only 300-400 MB of Free disk space out (10 minus 7) 3GB. Is it the paging file that's takng the free space? If yes then does the page file takes upto 2.6 GB of disk space?? (I have RAM of 512MB)

U asked about the winodws version. it's

"WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL VERSION 2002 SERVICE PACK 3".

I m hoping to hear frm u soon. I m very grateful for ur quick response and wd appreciate ur further guidance.

Regards,

Sheikh

Plz tell me details about what files can I delete from Windows folder which wouldn't creat problem to my windows operations?

Dear CLuberti I have dleted the hidden files "NT$$Unisntall".

Tell me what otehr files can I safely delete to free up space?

Regards,

Sheikh