Do Segregated (x86, x64) Program Files Matter?

Groonx

I have just built my first computer, and for the first time I'm running SATA and also 64-bit.

Previously I made elaborate, meticulous file arrangements for XP 32-bit systems. I like partitions, and I basically ignored the default MS "Program Files" in their default location. On a different partition, I set up very nice hierarchies of programs grouped in related categories. Anybody could have used my systems to find any program files quickly. Then I used my own "desktop shortcuts" to create toolbars along the taskbar, eclipsing the Start Menu Programs. Worked nicely.

Playing with x64, I have been experimenting with several OS setups, some simultaneously so I'm using multibooting.

If I continue the practice of separating x86 and x64 program files, I have to subdivide everything. Not only that, but if I use two OSs at once, and supposing I maintain a discrete partition for program files, then I quickly find myself with something like:

XP on (D)

- - - - 64-bit

- - - - 32-bit

XP on (E)

- - - - 64-bit

- - - - 32-bit

YOWCH! This is too intricate! I've already set up a test config, and it is neat and tidy, but it is no longer the nice simple array I enjoyed for so many years.

Now, I see on these forums that quite a bit of attention is given to working with x86 and x64 Program File storage. That implies that segregating them really does make a difference. I thought it might be simply a point of human convenience—keeping track of what you were using.

—I was hoping so, because my next question was whether it would make any difference to my computer if I simply stored both x86 and x64 programs together. For example, if I have a parent folder called File Operations, I might then have, under File Ops >Search, Search Agent Ransack; and under File Ops >ZIP, 7-Zip. (Ransack is 32-bit; 7-Zip is 64-bit.) Would that matter?

Thank you.

if you have a 64 bit install already, then look under the 64bit program files and you will see a folder called Common Files. This also appears under 32bit program files folder. You would have to be able to ensure that nothing in that folder was overwritten by either OS as it contains some required files.

Just checking quickly on my own system I have a folder structure underneath both program files and program files (x86) that looks like this

Common Files -> microsoft shared -> OFFICE12

Inside the OFFICE12 folder under BOTH program files paths there exists the following files

MSOXEV.DLL

MSOXMLED.EXE

MSOXMLMF.DLL

The files sizes are different under both paths indicating unique files between the two structures.

I would like to see you bypass that one!!!

You could probably allow both the program files and program files (x86) directories to remain but point your installers to the custom structure you create.

Again ensure you rename the folders if you plan to install the same program in the same category folder like so

program files

program files (x86)

custom_folder

--app1(x86)

--app1(x64)

--app2(x86)

--app3(x86)

--app4(x64)

This should allow for the common files folders to remain in their respective program files folders AND allow your custom structure.

hope this helps until the experts step in.

Edited by infiniti25

Ha ha, Infiniti—I read the whole thing and then I'm s'posed to believe you are NOT an expert?!?

Thanks a lot for that. Yes, I see how those Common Files would work, now that you have pointed me to them.

I may have to rethink some basics from several years ago. I run a lot of software, and quite early on, I began establishing hierarchies by subject. Before long I felt that Microsoft's entire use of what is usually Drive ( C ) was pretty messy. So I simply abandoned it, and set up my own.

Then I realized that my program files on a separate partition were also possibly more secure. I began separating my System Partition (with my boot files) from my Boot Partition(s) (with my Windows files). I could re-format an unwanted Windows OS, totally cleaning its partition. Then I could install a brand new OS in the newly-formatted partition, and I'd still have all my program files in good order. After I discovered NTREGOPT and ERUNT, and I learned about backing up Application Data, I was making real progress!

Of course I could maintain Program Files in a different partition, but I like my more modular approach better.

But to have to look in 2 different File Ops groupings sort of defeats the simplicity of the thing. Especially if I had, say, just for example, 3 different kinds of Paint programs that were x32, and one that was x64. They would no longer display in a series under Paint. "Hmm. I wonder if I have any other Paint programs in the other -bit section." :wacko: Yikes.

My technique wiped out the need for Search. I have MS search functions all turned off. I use Ransack maybe once a month; maybe less.

Maybe I'll have to leave Common Files just where they are, and place all the segregated files as I was proposing, in a different partition, but under a desegregated hierarchy Am I making any progress? :rolleyes: —Not when I look at what you've told me.

Oh dear oh dear.

(Tomorrow when I buy bread, I'd like to see the brown loaf displayed beside the white. I'd really prefer to not have to shop at the Brown-Bread Bakery and then go to the White-Bread Bakery.)

Edited by Groonx