Help! I'm new here!

agency

Hey people.

I'm a n00b...and i've got a number of questions:

1. if i add fonts to the XP CD, will windows during setup install them i.e will i be able to use them after the installation?

2. does anyone know how to add custom control panel applets?

3. how do i change the default windows theme from XP to a custom one?

4. how do i alter XP's startup files?

5. anyone know how to make a theme?

any help these is duly appreciated. thanks!

The Agency.

I would start by copying those questions into search verbatim.

The only one that looks like fun is the custom control panel applets.

EDIT: I lied this one is an easy find as well

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t105512.html

With themes, fonts, and startup solutions its probably harder to not find a post.

Edited by iamtheky

Hey people.

I'm a n00b...and i've got a number of questions:

Hi agency, welcome!

i'm a pro and got a number of answers for you :)

1. if i add fonts to the XP CD, will windows during setup install them i.e will i be able to use them after the installation?
The easiest way is to place them in C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$$\Fonts\ while C:\XPCD\ is your so called "Local Source" directory, the other path is C:\XPCD\I386\ ($OEM$ is NOT inside the I386 directory like some howtos advising).

I guess you don't have one of the very new original Windows XP Home (or Professional) Setup-CDs with SP3 integrated, so first use this howto for creating a Local Source directory, then second download the Service Pack 3 NIP (Network Installation Package, means this is the Redistributable Setup which does not download files from the internet while installing), then third, read this howto for Slipstreaming the Latest Service Pack but use the file you have downloaded in second, the howto is just not updated ;)), fourth, use this for Creating a Basic Unattended Setup. You also should read the ref.chm file you can find in this downloadable package. Fifth and last, read this howto for Burning the Bootable Unattended Setup CD.

You can test this CD directly on your computer but the cd will reinstall windows. Instead you could use VirtualPC 2007. The virtual PC will run as software on your computer and you can test your unattended Setup CD without killing your productive computer :).

3. how do i change the default windows theme from XP to a custom one?
Registry Tweaks and own research. RegMon is a nice tool for research ;)

Good Luck!

an3k

Edited by an3k