Question about Server 2008 and VMware Server

anthonyaudi

Hello guys I don't know if I'm in the right forum for this but I have a question.

I installed Server 2008 on VMware Server 1.0.7 (Yes I know it does not support Server 2008 but you can still install it no problems.)

Now my goal here is to create my own little domain I want to have about 5 or 6 virtual machines on a different domain from the one I am currently on.

So for example when I first get into work in the morning I log on to my PC and I log on to my machine I am logging on to Domain A but once I start my VMs they will be on Domain B.

Now the installation of Server 2008 went well everything installed fine but this is where I start getting problems.

If I let Vmware obtain an IP automatically I have no problems accessing the Internet however as soon as I assign an IP manually (I am trying to assign it automatically because it is a domain controller) I loose internet.

I know that there are some things that I need to configure in VMware to be able to get my static IP to communicate correctly with my host machine but I don't know what I have to do.

My static IP on the DC is 10.1.10.10 and the IP of the machine it is installed on is a 172.16.x.x address. How do I make the VM understand that it has to keep its static IP but be able to have internet?

Thanks

If I'm unclear just let me know I'll try to better explain it.

the problem you are going to run into is the that is you allow pass through on internet connection on Domain A (your domain you logon too) to domain B (your VM domain) you VM machines are going to have to have IP address that are valid on the subnet of Domain A, with a valid gateway on Domain A.

to make htis work will have to configure a Vm to have 2 NICs, one that is connected to your Domain A (with a 172.16.x.x IP) and another with a (10.1.10.x). using Routing and Remote Access (NPS in 2008 i believe) you can use this machine as a switch from Domain A to Domain B, please note by doing this, your domain B related requests and queries will be able to be captured and view from domain A. be careful to either restrict traffic going to Domain A or you will run into complications that 2 different domains are communicating with each other.