Clean Installing System Drivers

Larkina

I'm currently using a Intel E6600 2.4GHz. Viiv processor in my Dell XPS/410 computer and I'm stumped as for as when i should install it. The order for my system drivers are normally chipset, video, audio and network drivers. Where would you place this VIIV processor? I'm been told to place it after the chipset driver but it doesn't yield good performance that way. Could someone shed a little light on this topic please. Thank you in advance for any help.

Edited by Larkina

There's no such thing as a Viiv processor. Its just marketing. Its really a platform. Mobile chipset + Core2Duo mobile + low power integrated intel graphics = Viiv.

It doesn't matter what order you install them in, they do not overlap.

Thank you for the explaination. So, are you saying that if I don't want to use the Viiv stuff I don't have to install it? I believe its only use in relation to Media Center and that I don't use.

Depends. If its drivers only then install it. It should be more updated than what Windows has.

Post a list of what you are trying to install.

Dell Xps/410

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

Intel E6600 2.4GHz. core duo processor

Western Digital 250GB HD

Sigma Tel Audio

Nvidia 8600GTS 256MB Video Card

Dell 2208WFP 22'' Monitor

These are the required drivers for my system. I hope I included everything you ask for. I'm somewhat new at this so bare with me.

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

Release Date: 1/22/2007

Version: 8.1.1.1010, A01

Download Type: Driver

File Format: Hard-Drive

File Size: 1 MB

nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS

Release Date: 9/10/2007

Version: 162.25, A04

Other Versions

File Size: 55 MB

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Release Date: 6/19/2007

Version: 6.10.0.5511, A04

Other Versions

File Size: 7 MB

Intel 825xx Gigabit Platform LAN Network Device

Release Date: 3/30/2007

Version: 9.6.31.0, A00

File Size: 2 MB

Intel ViiV 1.7

Release Date: 10/25/2007

Version: 1.7.1 Final RC, A01

Download Type: Application

File Size: 34 MB

I see. Viiv is a software tool that can enable a few cool things. First it will support a TV tuner if you have one, second it has a quick resume feature from sleep. Its a little faster than the defaults available by the OS.

Its nothing really revolutionary, and if you don't use these features you won't notice the difference.

If you do install it, do it after the driver installs.

Also, some of those drivers are old. You got them from the Dell website didn't you? OEMs don't update too often. Go to the intel website, and the nVidia website for updated drivers.

I've done a search on the SIGMATEL, there is an update: http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?cat=su...ista%20sigmatel

You want the 5866. Do not get the one that has "RC" in the name. RC stands for Release Candidate. These are released usually for testing and are not to be trusted for a stable system.