Wired Optical Mouse Problem on Windows 98 S.E

frogman

I have been using a wired TECHNIKA optical mouse now for a few years, but I have noticed recently

it's been giving me clicking errors, and no matter what I try they wont go away.

For instance I would click on the cross to close a window and nothing happens, or I click back when browsing and it would go back 2 pages instead of one, and also when clicking to put a tick in a radio button, sometimes I have to click a few times for the tick to stay, things like that.

So I bought a TECHNIKA model TKOPTM2 wired mouse which said it's compatible for windows 98 S.E, but for some strange reason after sticking the mouse in the USB at the back of the PC and re-booting, a message appears before the desktop icons load to say that windows didn't find a mouse attached.

I have tried going to device manager to add a driver, but nothing will work, I even downloaded a keyboard/mouse drive that Tesco had on a website for the company of TECHNIKA, but that didn't work either.

Can anyone tell me which actual file I should be searching for, and should I be searching for the same files that appear when looking in device manager for the hid compliant mouse that I already have.

What confuses me a little is the mouse I use at the moment work, even thought this clicking problem happens from time to time, even after cleaning the working mouse, but can't get this new one to work at all.

I was even thinking of going back to the original ball mouse to see if that would help.

As soon as I put the older mouse back windows recognises it straight away.

Any help would be appreciated even if I have already tried it.

:unsure:

There's no need to reboot when installing a USB mouse. Plug the old mouse back in and reboot. When everything is back as it was, plug in the USB mouse and let windows detect it and install the drivers. Leave the old mouse attached until you're sure the new one is working.

You might want to keep the old mouse. A USB mouse may not work in safe mode or when you boot to DOS. You'll need to load a driver for the USB mouse if you want to use it in DOS.

Rick

There's no need to reboot when installing a USB mouse. Plug the old mouse back in and reboot. When everything is back as it was, plug in the USB mouse and let windows detect it and install the drivers. Leave the old mouse attached until you're sure the new one is working.

You might want to keep the old mouse. A USB mouse may not work in safe mode or when you boot to DOS. You'll need to load a driver for the USB mouse if you want to use it in DOS.

Rick

Hello,

Many thanks for your help with this.

I never thought to try putting the new mouse in another USB slot, and at the same time using the working mouse to browse, I have to say that it asked for the windows 98 S.E CD, so it could look for a file, I think the file was in the BASE 5 cab, but let me tell you it worked, and I am ecstatic.

I just removed the older mouse once I could see the new one move the cursor.

Again, thank you very much.

:thumbup