New program icons are missing

Apesbrain

After installing an nLited version of Win XP SP3, I am encountering an unexpected problem. When I install new applications, they show up on the Start menu with a generic icon. I have to manually change the shortcut to point to the icon associated with that application. Some of the programs installed by Windows, e.g. Notepad, also had this problem.

What changes I need to make to my nLite profile to correct this setting for future installations.

Also, what can I do now post-installation to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Apesbrain,

Most of the programs on my Start Menu are represented by a folder. All the folders are the same (generic) unless I have changed them. The shortcuts within the folders do contain the applications unique icons as does Notepad. Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini. Someone might be able to help. I hope you did not nLite the same source more than once. This leads to many and strange symptoms. I have no suggestions of how to correct it post install.

Enjoy, John.

Thanks John, the folders are fine. It's the icons for the programs themselves that don't appear. Instead, a generic shell32.dll icon is in the folder.

I ran nLite on a clean copy of my Win XP install into which I had already integrated SP3 using RVM Integrator.

Does the "Last Session.ini" contain any personal information? If not, I will add it to this posting.

Thanks again.

Apesbrain,

I have no idea what RVM does or how it does it. For best results, I always recommend doing the whole process in one nLite run. I integrate SP2 (XP x64) each time I make an ISO and it starts with a fresh copy of my original CD files/folders. SP2 takes about a minute to integrate. I have made ISOs from already nLited source and ended up with strange symptoms such as missing Quick Launch folder and the Windows logo on the Desk Top. This may not be your problem but I am curious why you decided to use a separate tool to integrate SP3.

Open you LastSession.ini with notepad and you will see there is really no personal data. Most people do attach theirs. You will see that the paths to your hot fixes and drivers will be included and this may contain you account name. You should not attach your LastSession_u.ini. This does contain private information such as your key and nuhi has stated at the top not to post it.

Enjoy, John.

You raise good points: my original SP3 source may be corrupted or my use of RVM before nLite to integrate "post-SP3" hotfixes may be at fault.

Will you answer one last question? From what I can see in nLite, there is no switch that would cause this "generic icon" behavior as an intended result. Do you agree?

Thanks.

Apesbrain,

From what I can see in nLite, there is no switch that would cause this "generic icon" behavior as an intended result. Do you agree?

I agree. I have seen nothing that might cause this problem. It could be constructive to look at your LastSession since I am certainly not aware of all nLite options.

This may not be your problem but I am curious why you decided to use a separate tool to integrate SP3.

Did you notice this implied question in my last post - still curious?

Enjoy, John.

• 11 months later...

I had this same problem.... took 2 hours of mind-numbing, hair pulling debugging.

In the tweaks section...

--Performance

--Uncheck "Disable Custom EXE Icons"

That solved it for me. I never saw your LastSession.ini but am willing to bet thats your problem.