lag when opening drive mappings

VoodooV

My office is transitioning from Novell to Windows AD. We're a state agency, and our state is such that they won't let us have our own domain, we're simply an OU in their forest.

Anyway, the number one complaint we've had so far is whenever the user clicks on one of the new drive mappings that maps to our new Windows servers. There is an initial lag between clicking on the drive, and when the contents are displayed. The lag is maybe 5-10 seconds. That isn't so much the problem, but if the drive goes unused for a while, and the user clicks on it again, the lag returns.

Now I remember long ago, when I did some W2K server training, I ran into this issue and my instructor showed me how to fix it. I believe it was a reg hack having to do with the connection timing out and the reg hack increased the timeout to some very large number.

Does this issue seem familiar to anyone and does anyone know where to find that fix because I've tried searching around and I haven't had any luck finding it yet.

If I'm remembering correctly and it's just a reg hack, is this something that can be done to our servers, or is it a reg hack that has to be done to the domain controller which we don't control.

Thanks in advance!

Do you still have the Novell Client installed on computers? If so, when you connect to a drive mapped to a Windows Server share, the Novell Client forst starts out by trying to locate various Novell services for eDirectory etc. This causes a time delay in opening the mapped drive and displaying the contents.