How to modify an INF file to correct its device name?

pengo

Hi

I am unable to use the Dell ATI drivers for my dell C610 laptop as I suspect its due to windows using its own driver for which it calls the display adapter "Radeon Mobility". In the INF files for the dell driver, it references the device as Mobility Radeon".

Now if I right click over the device in device manager and choose update driver and point it to the dell driver, it does not install the dell driver. Yet if I run either the setup of the driver or manually choose a driver from the inf file it works.

I'm trying to integrate this driver for my windows install so I need it to be able to work automatically. So to do that I think I need to modify the inf. I tried renaming Radeon Mobility" at the start of the file but, that didn't seem to do the trick.

What sort of changes do I need to make in the INF so it works when updating the the microsoft supplied "Radeon Mobility" driver?

Thanks

Edited by pengo

The device description has nothing to do with it. Is the Dell driver digitally signed (WHQL certified)?

Find out the Hardware Id for the device...

Device Manager >> Display Adapter (properties) >> Details tab

Do this with the default Windows drivers installed. This will allow you to see which Hardware Id windows is actually using for the device. Once you've got the corresponding Id(s), compare it to the ones supplied in the Dell INF file. Add the compatible hardware ids to the Dell INF file. The format should look something like this:

"device description" = driver install section, hardware id

For example:

"RADEON MOBILITY" = ati2mtag_M6, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C59&SUBSYS_00E31028

Note: If the Dell drivers are WHQL certified, making any changes to the INF will lose its WHQL status.