Slipstreaming XP SP3 Question

dd5087

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I am in the process of using nLite to slipstream SP3 into my existing version of XP-SP1, including all of the updates and hotfixes. I upgraded to IE7 in December 06 and upgraded to SP3 in June 08. Should I not include all of the updates to IE7 that were loaded before the upgrade to SP3? I tried to do this and out of the 11 IE7 patches before SP3, 6 of them failed to integrate.

Since there have been no replies, I thought I'd add to my previous post...

You should not run nlite on a post-nlite'd installation source as it will most likely lead to all sorts of problems. IF this is the case here, you'll have to start over.

As for the IE7 hotfixes, you only need to integrate the latest update(s). All Internet Explorer updates are cumulative. However, there have been some exceptions... It's best to consult the relevant knowledge base articles before proceeding.

Also make sure you are using the latest version of nlite.

(My) Steps to creating an nlite'd cd:

(1) Get hold of an untouched Windows XP installation source (preferably SP0); SP1 or SP2 will also do fine.

*** Note: If you don't plan to integrate WMP11, you may skip steps (2) and (3).

(2) [OPTIONAL] Slipstream SP3 to the installation source using the traditional method.

(3) [OPTIONAL] Integrate WMP11 using Boooogy's WMP11 Slipstreamer.

(4) Run nlite. Integrate SP3 (if you haven't already done so) + IE7 + post-SP3 hotfixes + addons you wish to add (in this exact order).

By doing it this way, I have never ran into any problems... Good Luck! :)

I never rerun a post nlite installation. I always start from scratch. So what you are telling me is that if I load what is shown in MS08-058 (KB956390), then all of the updates to IE7 would be taken care of?

Yes, for the most part.

However, there may also be other hotfixes available for IE7 sub-components that aren't included with the cumulative update. As I said, the best way to find out is to consult the KB articles and/or security bulletins. They contain very useful information and will detail everything you need to know.