Windows XP install USB keyboard problem

Tristanm

I am having a problem installing XP on my computer. I have a USB keyboard and setup does not recognize it, so I can't actually run repair or clean install. Looking this problem up, it seems that USB keyboard not working in XP setup is a very common problem. I have played with the settings in my BIOS to no effect, I have tried every single USB slot in case the setup shuts down some of the USB ports. I just can't get the XP disc to register my USB keyboard once it starts up. Is there some driver I can load when the disc first boots to fix this, or something? I do not have access to a PS/2 keyboard, and my keyboard does not work with a PS/2 adapter.

My motherboard is an Nvidia 680i, if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i'm having the same problem. The computer is a Dell, just out of warranty. Keyboard is the one shipped with it (regular wired USB keyboard, nothing fancy). No power surges or anything, but it won't boot because of an allegedly corrupt file. I can't reinstall due to this problem of the keyboard not responding when I get to the "Enter/R/F3" screen. No lights on the keyboard, no response to any key, even though seconds before it acted normally (numlock & caps lock responded) seconds before.

I'm about ready to defenestrate the thing.