new found hardware wizard problem

ss21page

Here is the problem. Using Acronis software, I put in a new WCAS86576698 by cloning my old segate 40 gb drive while the new drive was installed as a slave. Pulled the old drive, made the new drive to a master, by changing the jumpers. Booted up, all look fine. At the next bootup up pops the "found new hardware wizard". When system gets to the wizard if I run it it does not fined any install software, (no surprise) and says things may not work. The hardware manager then puts an "!" on the drive. If I boot up and when it gets to the Wizard I click on cancel, then the hardware manger does not put a "!" on the drive. On every restart I have the same senerio. The same problem exist with the wdcw800JB00FMA0 which is a slave drive. Is there a way to "reinstall" these drives without formatting as I both drives have a lot of data on them now and as pointed out above the newest one is the boot drive. One can read and write to both when using the "cancel" as outline above. If one could just stop the so called wizard from popping up that would be fine as far as I can tell.

• 8 months later...

The answer given is probably not the good one anyway, as adding a HDD does not add a HDD controller (which so called SATA drivers are for). Additionally the original poster says he changed jumpers on the new drive to make it master, so it is not a SATA drive in his case.

Can you report exactly on what device the Device Manager puts the exclamation mark ?