How to download Microsoft Tinker?

shinywong

I have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed in my office's computer, but the computer got no Internet access....

The OS of my home's computer is XP SP3, so I can't download Microsoft Tinker through Windows Update.

Tinker seems fun, but I don't know where to download it.

I tried Windows Updates Downloader, but it doesn't have ao option for Vista Ultimate.

Thank you.

The only way is to use some other computer which has Vista Ultimate, then to download it using Windows Update. After downloading, open WindowsUpdate.log, located in C:\Windows and find link in it. Then download it using your Internet Explorer.

Cheers ;)

Edit: Here is the link for x64 version of game:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...adb9a234dba.cab

Since I'm running x64 version of Vista Ultimate, I can give you link only for x64 version of game. Somebody other maybe can give your link for x86 version, if you need it.

Edited by mara-

• 3 months later...

OK, so maybe I'm a total tard... but... I downloaded the tinker .cab, and I can't figure out how to use package manager to install it. Am I being stoopid?

On a separate but related note, does anyone have the url for hold em? (x64 would be awesome)

I'm running windows 7, but I dual-boot with Vista Ultimate.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so maybe I'm a total tard... but... I downloaded the tinker .cab, and I can't figure out how to use package manager to install it. Am I being stoopid?

On a separate but related note, does anyone have the url for hold em? (x64 would be awesome)

I'm running windows 7, but I dual-boot with Vista Ultimate.

Thanks for the help!

Ok Guys I had the same problem - Installed Tinker from updates did not appear in C:\Program Files\Microsoft games\Tinker

This is what I did

1. Downloaded the cab file

2. Expanded the cab file

Example

expand -F:* windows6.0-kb954955-x86_6b6a72a2579ee5f8385d1a1ab75ed6e76083824c.cab C:\temp\Tinker\Tinker

3. Created the following directory structure

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Tinker

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Tinker\en-US

4. Copied the MUI file from the expanded folders to the \Tinker\en-US folder

x86_microsoft-windows-t..er.954955.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16748_en-us_fe0acb24d205d6e5

sparkresource.dll.MUI

5. Copied the files in the following expanded folder to the \Tinker folder

x86_microsoft-windows-tinker.954955_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16748_none_d033bc76015c6b52

6. Double clicked on the Tinker.exe file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Tinker folder to run the game

Hope this helps

Edited by Robo

• 1 year later...

I used to love this program but I never trusted Windows Live.

So, with the info provided by "Listener", Rick and Seemaan,

I wrote a new interface that keeps everything local and off the iNet.

I wrote this for Win7(x86) so not sure if it will work on Xp, Vista or 64-bit platforms.

Post a msg here if you have problems on those platforms.

It is issued with a semi-Silent installer that shows progress but needs no input.

Hard Core peeps can tear it apart and mess with it as you like (and probably will).

Source code is available upon request but written for Borland C++ 2010(Embarcadero).

Tinker is FREE so Digital Rights crap from Microsoft should not be an issue

unless they are complaining about not being able to scan your system as they like.

With the Directx installers and the VcRedist package, its almost 60mb.

• 7 months later...