WinXP 64Bit Install Issue

arrols

Hi All,

Hope some one can help me with my problem. I am trying to install Windows XP 64bit on my Samsung NP-R510, the laptop has a Intel ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller on it.

I initially tried to manually slipstream the extracted 64bit drivers from IATA85ENU.exe that i downloaded here but this did not work; the XP install gets as far as the starting windows section and then it restarts (I do not get a blue screen of death). I tried this several times to no avail, so decided to try using nlite to do it automatically for me with the same results.

Next i borrowed a usb floppy drive and just added the drivers by pressing F6 but again the same thing happened, i am sure the drivers i am using are the latest from the Intel website.

The bios on my machine has an AHCI compaitibilty mode that i have tried on auto and manual (enabled and disabled), the motherboard on the machine is a proprierty board manufactured by Samsung and Samsung have advised me that the bios is up todate and is compatible with 64bit processing; as is my processor (Intel Core 2 Duo T5750).

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

System Details

Samsung NP-R510 FAA3UK

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 / 2 GHz ( Dual-Core )

RAM - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300 ( 2 x 2 GB )

Hard Drive - 160 GB - 5400 rpm

Screen - 15.4' TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Optical Drive - DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM

Graphics - Intel GMA X4500

I also have a usb floppy drive around somewhere. I once tried to copy files from the floppy for a raid controller, but i had to fiddle around with some bios settings first before it would work. Meaning before i had fixed the bios settings, it would just refuse to copy from the drive. I also think it crashed if not bios settings were correct.

• 2 weeks later...

While i believed that¨s what did it for me too, take into consideration that IF one decides to use AHCI driver or anything other then IDE or sata native mode, it 100% means you need to have those drivers available in case of a system crash, harddrive crash.

I once was in this scenario where i had to load the ahci drivers when a harddrive had crashed and was in need of recovery.

I do not wish this upon anyone, it is a headache beyond your geekiest nightmare.

• 1 month later...

It appears to me that you din not slipstream the right thing. Slipstream the text-mode driver for sata/ahci (F6 Floppy Configuration Utility). Download here. Use nLite. If you don't slipstream any service pack into the kit, there is no need to run nLite on a 64-bit OS. That's how I did, and it worked fine.

Edited by impopia