keys SP2 SP2c SP3

JoeMSFN

The following discusses OEM editions of WinXP pro only. (no retail, VLK etc)

I'm trying to slim down my various install sources of windows. I remember when SP2c came out (the COA stickers looked a little different), but when I compared the CD (label) of Pro SP2c and Pro SP2 the X10---- numbers were identical! (but they are different.)

I know that SP2 (or below) won't accept the newer keys.

What I have not found (explicitly stated) is SP2c taking OLDER keys.

My question(s)

1. Does WinXP Pro with SP2c (MS original, no Sliptreamed SvcPack) accept OLDER OEM pro keys?
  2. Does it activate properly?
  3. Does WinXP Pro with SP3 (yes it's out--MS original, no Sliptreamed SvcPack) accept OLDER OEM pro keys?
  4. Does it activate properly?
  5. If none of the above work, is there a utility that I enter the Key and it tells me if it's a newer or older key?

I hope someone's tried it. If it does I can remove a whole Windows install source off of my HD and also not have to have a separate distribution for newer keys. I also don't have to worry about figuring out if the COA sticker is the newer "expanded key list" key or not.

I've searched and read SP2c takes newer keys and not older keys. I've also read that SP2c expands the set of keys used (not sure if that includes older ones). Finally I've read that SP3 can take both. But I would like to know of anyone actually TRYING this?

I do have some XP pro computers with the older keys on the COA, but too much stuff is on them to wipe clean and try.

If no ones done this, I guess I might have to bite the bullet and clone original, install fresh try my old key on the newer source, and clone back. But I also don't have a spare hard drive with space either...

Let me know people.

Edited by JoeMSFN