Application Error

lubinski

:realmad:

referencedmemoryerror.jpg

Anyone of some help on this one?

This also does this on a different hard drive just with a different application. This unit has 4x 512mb memory sticks in it. I have removed all but one, and swapped that one out, and they all do it.

The error is saying that the eQuality agent dll file (wwts_32.dll) running inside the eQuality service module (captureservice.exe) tried to read from a VIRTUAL memory address of 0x00000014, and failed. I know this will fail because the first 64K of any process space is marked PAGE_NOACCESS, and there should NEVER be any accesses in this region (anything requesting virtual memory at 0x00010000 or below is going to crash with this exact error message).

Note that this kind of error would indicate poor software design, but not a hardware problem. I'd contact Witness Systems and see what they say, or if there's an upgraded version that doesn't have the problem, etc. If this was a Microsoft application crashing we could help you more (Microsoft makes certain symbol information public, allowing people to debug their applications to some extent), but this is a Witness Systems module in a Witness Systems application, so the error message is about all we'll be able to tell you from a dump (which we can already see in the screen shot).

Unfortunately, you'll have to contact them about this, we won't really be able to be of much service to you.

For reference, here is a basic debug of the address layout in any x86 process running on Windows, and will illustrate why an application making a request for data at 0x00000014 will fail:

0:000> !address
00000000 : 00000000 - 00010000 // 0x00000014 falls within this range - note it's PAGE_NOACCESS
Type 00000000
Protect 00000001 PAGE_NOACCESS
State 00010000 MEM_FREE
Usage RegionUsageFree

0:000> ? 00010000
Evaluate expression: 65536 = 00010000

0:000> ? 00000014
Evaluate expression: 20 = 00000014

Well at least I know I don't have to order more hardware for it. This error happened after I changed out the power supply because it was not booting.

Knowing that, it's more likely you should consider backing up your data and uninstalling/reinstalling the application (or removing it entirely if you don't use it) just in case. If it continues, then contact the vendor.