replacement for Motherboard Monitor?

the xt guy

I've been using Motherboard Monitor for about five years and have just put together a new computer with a newer (2007) Motherboard and MBM won't run on it (development of MBM stopped in 2004).

The motherboard is a Gigabyte 8I865GME-775-RH running a Pentium Cedar Mill 3.6 ghz. CPU.

I don't need all the many options in MBM, just something that will read the case and CPU temps and will show them in the system tray (like MBM did.)

I also need it to work with Windows 98.

Two programs I've tried so far don't work: 'Core Temp' won't work on Pentium 4 or D. 'CPU ID Hardware Monitor' will not work on 98/ME (although one can e-mail the developers and they can e-mail a 98/ME version that does not rely on unicode.)

Any suggestions?

Edited by the xt guy

Yes, I already found the three that won't run on Win 98!

The Intel Active Monitor was even more bizarre. It claimed I had a non-Intel MB, it actually has an Intel 865 and ICH5 chipsets.

Another one ran on 9X but claimed my CPU was not supported!

SpeedFan installed but reported bizarre voltages and temps (-52c, -2c and 29c, my CPU temp at the time was about 41c; voltages were bizarrely off too..-12v. was -16 volts -5 volts was -6.85 volts!. The BIOS reports that they're OK, although doesn't give the actual voltages).

Thanks Digerati Prime for posting these links, I'll keep trying.