Vista not reading External Drive Files on 1st attempt

Galgalay

Hello.

I've googled this topic to try to find the remedy to the situation but have had no success. I'm hoping someone here may know the answer

My laptop operates on Vista Home Premium. I have hooked up a SimpleTech - Signature Mini 320GB External Hard Drive. Everything seems just fine. The laptop sees the Mini. Files have been successfully transfered to the mini. Off of the mini, pictures open without problem on first try. So do excel files.

The problem comes in opening Word documents. In explorer, I go to the Mini. Select a word document and double click to open (all normal procedure). Word opens and then an error window pops up: Windows cannot find <insert name of file> Be sure that is the correct name and try again.

I close that error message. Go directly back into Explorer. Double click on the same file and it opens without a problem. This seems to happen only during the first time files are opened. Once they've been opened they seem to open again without this "double" need.

Certainly this problem is more of a hassle then an insurmountable issue.

I would still appreciate any recommendations on how to eliminate the pain of double the work to get into a word file.

Thanks for your time.

G.

You haven't said what version of Office you have? Assuming Office 2007, then after you open a blank Word page, click the Orb at the top left and click on WORD OPTIONS at the bottom of the drop down menu and check Active X and other security items that may prevent opening.

What happens if you right click and select OPEN on a Word File in the Mini? You may have a double click problem.

Right click any word file in the Mini and select PROPERTIES and check the permissions

Kotuku

sounds like maybe your drive is write protected.. maybe copy the file onto your sourcedrive (usually C:\) of your PC your trying to open word documents on

when u open a file in word it creates a file in that same folder as a temp file