Hiding Programs

thaimin

While making my minimized unattended nLited install, I typically wanted hidden windows. I tried cmdow but it didn't seem to work too well and all of those **** security warnings about it, so I instead made my own. This program cannot do the cool feature of cmdow which is hiding the current window, but it does allow you to call a program or whatever that is completely hidden.

You would use it like:

hide my_command_file arg1 arg2

Basically, it takes the entire command line (minus the "hide") and runs that in a hidden window with its own environment.

I tried to make this as small as possible (46kb), however have not succeeded in even achieving the size of cmdow (which is about 31kb). It requires no libraries other than basic Windows libraries (ones you cannot remove at all).

When compiling with Visual Studio, it does make it an awesome 7 kb, however it than requires 1.5 MB of MS Visual Studio 9 DLLs to go with it. This version is compiled using Borland C++ compiler 5.5 (from 2000). Anyone have any other suggestions on minimizing the size? A different compiler? Options should try (obviously I already tried -O1 for size). I know the difference between 46kb and say 15kb really isnt that much, but it is the principal of the idea.

hide.exe