Set Default Driver Settings

Ascii2

How can default settings for drivers for Windows 2000 or Windows XP family operating systems be set?

For example, I would like to have the "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel" of "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" in Device Manager default to a Transfer Mode of "DMA if available" for both devices on a channel.

I would like the "ECP Printer Port (LPT1)" driver to default Port settings to "Use any interrupt assigned to this port" and "Enable legacy Plug and Play detection".

Another nice tool that i prefer for these things is Regshot unicode.

It captures the tweaks directly to reg or inf file-format and is freeware...

On my system, then after having installed Win2k, then the primary IDE controller is setup as DMA, but the secondary controller in PIO mode, so i use the following regtweak:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002]
"UserMasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff

I thought that the driver defaults would have to be set in the driver INF files or modify the binary driver files themselves (worst case), and that the driver settings would only be written to the Windows Registry when an instance (not all instances) of the driver is installed for use. So, any changes to driver defaults would have to be made by modifying the INF installation files or the driver files themselves.

Is this inaccurate?

I shall try to examine changes with registry monitoring applications within the next 48 hours (probably within the next 24 hours).

Edited by Ascii2