Elusive Windows Networking Problem

runningmanms3

ok, now I'm confused. The machines that can't get the network list aren't trying to fight for master status as the nbtstat -n doesn't indicate master. Below is the event viewer error message:

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C9A0CEAA-F0B0-4A9E-B87A-DDA5C2E9B262}. The backup browser is stopping.

for the browser service and event ID 8032

Also, the ipconfig /all results in an unknown node type.

Any suggestions are really welcome.

Thanks

Guest borat2009

To runningmanms3,

The problem you face is definately related to NETBIOS and WINS. Even though we tend to think of those as relating to Win95 and Win98, the fact of the matter is, that even when using WinXP Pro workstations and 2003 domain controllers, you still need to have NETBIOS and WINS enabled on all computers in your network. You also need to have File and Print sharing enabled on your network cards as well, or you will not be able to "Browse" your network. Also note that with those enabled, you will also limit your computer names to the 15 character NETBIOS limit ( read that as....you can only SEE 15 of the characters in the name ), so try to watch your naming. A quick way to check your connectivity is to go to your "server" or "Master Computer" and do a START, RUN, and enter \\<ip address of workstation here>. This should open up a new window with some folders, if it does, then it means that you have the correct security permissions, and you have connectivity, and that your issue is probably related to WINS and NETBIOS, and/or firewall settings. You can stop the "Master Borwser" wars by just stopping the "Computer Browser" service on all workstations except the "server" or "Master Computer"; it will probably generate a 2550 error in the error log, but you can ignore it. I am a-little confused about the tunneling adapter though. I also wouldn't be running a network as a P2P unless you have some specific reason to. I'd also like to know more about what type of switch/router that your using. I'd also verify your DNS and Gateway settings on those units as well. Hope this helps.

Well, I'm not sure if I solved the issue but I have managed to get the network browsing working. After verifying that I didn't have a master browser conflict by using the nbtstat information I then reviewed the ipconfig /all details and noticed that I had no entries in the WINS primary or secondary fields so I manually entered each's machines IP address's in the tcp/ip advanced settings for the WINS tab. After stopping and restarting the WIN service I could then browse to each and every machine by using the network neighborhood, from every machine.

The access time seemed to be a little slower, at times almost feeling as though operations were going to time out but they did populate on the screen and worked properly for file transfer, ....

Hop this helps someone else as the corrective information on this type of issue is very scarce.

Rgds