Windows SBS 2003

unnameduser

Our current set up.

We have a Dell PE830 with a P4 3 GHz CPU and 1GB RAM. We currently have only one standalone 250GB basic SATA disk that is partitioned 12GB for the O.S and the rest for a file server. I don't believe that it has a controller card. I am toying with the idea of setting up a software RAID 1 - mirroring.

If I place a second drive of the same size or bigger into the machine, upgrade both disks to dynamic, should I be able to create the mirror using computer management?

The performance hit is something I am concerned with. I am installing an ERP program that 10 client machines will be accessing several times through out the day.

I do not really want to have to purchase a new server with a controller card.

Both disaster recovery AND performance are my main concerns. Any suggestions?

I would suggest more ram for that SBS box, SBS does so much and is hard to run smoothly on anything less than 2GB (obviously depending on the number of users). So that coupled with Software mirroring *may* be ok.

What exactly does the program do? and how do it work? (flat files\ SQL backend?)

How many users are you serving?

Thanks

Adding more RAM is on the to do list! The server was purchased two years ago simply as a file server. Whoever specced and purchased it never envisaged it to be more than fileserver.

Program will be running a central database holding stock items info, CRM, accounts etc. It is SQL. Max 10 users.

What about using a PCI controller card to create a hardware RAID? - (would this involve reloading the OS)

Edited by unnameduser