power converter

colore

hello

I have devices that have US-type plug and others with UK-type plugs

can you tell me please if I can use them to europe?

what do I need? just a pin-adapter, or it must do voltage and/or frequency conversion as well?

I don't want my devices damaged

thanks

Switch mode PSUs should work fine with 50 Hz. So on those, Voltage (range) only matters.

But classical transformers made for 60 Hz lose some power if used with 50Hz. They will get a bit hotter even without a load and provide around 10 - 20 % less output power.

Some converter transformers have more than one input or output voltage. A 60 Hz dedicated device should not be fed with the theoretically correct voltage, but a little bit lower.

For example, in Germany we have a nominal mains voltage of 230 V at 50 Hz. If your conversion transformer has an input of 240 Volts available, you may want to use this instead of a 230 Volts port. Or vice versa, if you only have 230 Volts primary, you may want to use a 100 Volts output port, if exists, instead of 110 Volts.

If a transformer is made for 220 Volts input only, don't ever use it over here!

Anyway, you should buy that transformer in Europe, for several reasons:

- saving weight on the flight to Europe

- proper mains plug should come with it; important as there are many different local standards for wall outlets around Europe

- local law may apply for grounding or fusing systems

Some more important aspects:

- never ever overload a transformer 'just a bit', as that's the worst case, a fuse won't blow, but the thing may get extremely hot and occasionally start to burst into flames. Never let it be plugged in unattended. Never ever let it sit on any kind of inflammable surface material. Never ever cover it with anything, that might reduce cooling.

- keep in mind, most such transformers DON'T give a potential free output, so one output pin may still be connected to 230 Volt mains potential, against ground, earth and your fingers...

- never ever bring wireless phones or other RF transmitters to Europe, as frequency ranges, power limits and more details will differ, and in most countries it's a crime, to use any RF transmitter, that's not licensed for the country you're in. This also goes for walkie talkies, radio controlled toys, RF remote controls and a lot more.

Bliuetooth, WLAN and GSM are OK.

- some American devices may possibly be adapted to 230 or 240 Volts internally, but in any case only by an expert

- pin adaptors may only be used up to a given current limit. Device that use more Amperes must have the plug changed instead, of course on location and by qualified personnel.

Edited by FishBowl

A power converter is a power supply unit (PSU) that not only delivers energy to an electronic device from an electrical outlet, but also regulates the current to meet the devices specific requirements. If you have any type of sophisticated electronics such as computers, laptops, high end audio equipment, cell phones etc, the odds are they also incorporate a power supply unit that also regulates the current.Most power converters are usually called Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS); they include a power supply unit and a circuit inside the unit to regulate the current.There are four major types of SMPS, they include: AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current) out (called a converter), DC in to DC out, AC in to AC out and DC to AC out. A DC to AC out device is usually called an inverter.Common applications that use SMPS are laptop computers and audio or video equipment that can work from either a home electricity outlet or a car's DC outlet.

-----------------------------------------------------

gillberk

CONNECTOR