newbie with a dual boot question

xbxjunkie

greetings to all, this is my first post and i have a question. i've been reading some of the tutorials on here and they have been

very helpful. i currently have a laptop with vista and i would like to dual boot with xp. as we all know, the xp setup disc doesn't

have sata drivers and i've been trying to slipstream them, but all i keep making is coasters. my question is can i make a bootable

xp cd on an vista machine? after i burn the cd with nero, the laptop will not boot off of it. should i be burning a bootable ISO image

or should i just burn the slipstream files onto a disc? i've tried both methods with no success. i've read the tutorial published by

fernando and it appears i'm doing everything right. thanks

xbxjunkie,

I hope someone will answer for absolutely sure if it is OK to use Vista to create an XP ISO. I think it is probably OK it they are both 32 or both 64 bit OSs.

You should be creating a boot-able ISO. Why not try the disk writer built into nLite. It has always worked for me on both CDs and DVDs. A better idea is a virtual system such as VirtualBox (Sun), VirtualPC (MS) or VMware Server (all free). I use VMware Server because at the time it was the only one to support XP x64 guest (I'm using XP x64 host and guests). The first two are much smaller than the last, about 10 to 1. You should also be able to just write an ISO file with nLite and connect it to the VM and quit burning disks. You could also use re-writable CDs or DVDs (this was my first solution until I found out about the ISO file). Once things are working on a VM then go back to real HW. Note that the Sata drivers will not be tested in the VM environment.

Good luck, John

after following fernando's tutorial closely and figuring out the chipset on my motherboard, i was able to create a bootable XP disc

with SP3 and sata drivers intergrated, i then made the changes to my bootrec file and i now have a dual boot laptop. there's a good

online tutorial on youtube as well posted by KurtisICT. the information i gathered here in a few short hours helped me greatly. thanks

for putting together a great tutorial :thumbup