Replace Outlook Express while using Windows 98 SE

cannie

I've used for years Thunderbird. Since two years ago I use Foxmail 5, which may be downloaded here:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2055

It allows you to use not only your POP3 server but also HTTP services like gmail and others.

There is a Foxmail 6 beta version, but I keep using the stable old one.

HTH

Edited by cannie

I've removed OE from every OS I have except for a couple of test unit images. IMO, it's too vulnerable to trust and too integrated into the OS which makes any vulnerabilities that much more damaging. I've used SeaMonkey since its early days as the Mozilla Suite. It's always worked well for me.

I agree, it's always a good idea to remove Outlook "Distress" along with IE and use Firefox, Thunderbird, Sea Monkey, Opera, etc. instead.

With Firefox I use noscript and only allow java/scripts on my trusted sites. Some things such as Silverlight (google the terms "Silverlight" and "evil") I have blocked completely. Since Firefox has no Active-X the security threats associated with that are gone.

I also remove Windows Media Player and MS Java, replacing them with Media Player Classic and Sun Java. Ripping out all this MS software makes a Windows box much safer.

Edited by the xt guy