Where are drivers located?

buck614

I've always wondered, where are drivers located? On 98 and before, it seemed that they were located in 'c:windowssystem'. However they weren't always there. On 2000, is there a centralized location for drivers, Is there a way to back them up so if I reformat I can just replace all of the drivers at once instead of installing them individually from floppy or CD?

I don't know where the drivers are stored. but you can always do this:

1. Install Windows XP

2. Install all the necessary drivers

3. Backup your hard drive (where win xp is installed) using Ghost 2002 or Drive Image 5

4. You'll never have to reformat again. Restore your Backup image back to the hard drive and you'll have a clean installed OS with just the drivers.

5. (Optional) Install essential software and windows updates, and backup again to the same image. You can restore again if ever needed to.

I have a restore disk and that is helpful to get me back to where I was. Although, over time I learn more and implement more stuff that is not in the image. I then find myself feeling that my image is outdated. I want to start over and make a new image. I want the driver info backed up for that use. When I do have to start from scratch I would like my drivers backed up to make it easier to re-install them as opposed to doing each driver individually from floppy or CD.

I scrounge the net for my drivers. I look for all the updated drivers for my system, from the CDRW, to the NIC. ONce I get them all downloaded I put them on a CD. I leave the CD open in case I have to burn additional drivers. Works like a two peckered camel.

Big Booger

[b:bc05c1522e]buck614[/b:bc05c1522e] - AaronXP suggest to you to make a image of your hard drive, so that you understand you can make a image of your hard drive anytime you feel like it. Use Ghost 2002 or Drive Image 5 like he suggested. So after you do all your updates or everytime you install a new program make a image.

-XPerties