Confusion with Runonceex

jid

Hi Folks

Again im following the guide from here and im now on the intermediate section (yeh me for getting this far....)

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/32/

Anyway im trying to create the files for a few applications i have using both methods....but im getting myself in a right spin

If i give a list of a few programs could someone (Via Msn / Yahoo / Email or whatever means) please help me get them sorted please.

Im a bit niave when it comes to this but i thought it would be a case of selecting what progs i wanted to be installed at startup....how wrong was i..

Hope i havent broke any rules by asking this...

Hopefully speak soon

Jid

The most common method is RunOnceEx.

Please make a search on this forum and you will find plenty of questions/answers and examples of other users files. This way you can speed-start making your own and begin testing your installation.

thanks elajua

thats where im getting confused the most. My new cd directory at the moment is located here "c:\xpcd"

I want to add my nokia pc suite and i have the installation file on my pc under c:\progs

i selected the file in runonceex and it puts it in the menu for me....but surly the installation file needs to be stored somewhere under the xcpd directory

can someone please explain where im going wrong

thanks

can someone please explain where im going wrong

From the guide for which you've stated to have read :

"We will be using the $OEM$ distribution folders to install our favorite software, drivers, and registry tweaks"

"The Install folder specified at C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\ is copied over to the systemdrive, so it turns out to be C:\install\ - More information on this can be found at the $OEM$ Distribution folders page."

Thanks Martin

You ever get that feeling you cant see the woods for the trees....after re-reading it makes perfect sense

im interested in this part though

You might ask, "why not run application installations from the CD itself?" This is because CD-ROM drive letters are bound to be

different on every PC, which shows why there's no permanent "%CDROM%" environment variable......(although its been discussed often in the forums so it should turn up in asearch)

Can someone advise if this is worth doing and / or point me in the direction of this please....im thinking i would rather install the apps / drivers etc from the cd rather then copy them over to my pc

Thanks again everybody

You can use a RunOnceEx like this to make the install from the CD/DVD:

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\AppsRoot.txt SET DVD=%%i:

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Instalando Aplicaciones" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%DVD%\Install\netfx35\dotNetFx35setup /qb /norestart" /f

You just have to make an empty text file in the CD/DVD root called AppsRoot.txt or whatever name you like.

In this example, the applications are located in the folder Install, which is the root of the CD/DVD.

Edited by elajua

Can someone advise if this is worth doing and / or point me in the direction of this please....

I would personally recommend it, as it's the more effecient way of doing it...

Here's some tips to how i myself do it...

I place all my apps into '$OEM$\RunOnceEx\'(so as to not clutter the root of the disc with another folder) and then just use '%~dpn0\' in '$OEM$\RunOnceEx.cmd' as the install-path for your apps(as there's no reason to assign environment-variables that's longer than the assigned value, like using '%cdrom%' instead of '%~d0').

Finally, then there's no need for adding 'setlocal enableextensions' or 'endlocal', and also no reason for adding '@echo off' after 'cmdow @ /hid', but instead just use '@cmdow @ /hid'

As for the drivers, then i recommend placing them into '$OEM$\Drivers\' and then following a06lp's guide which is linked in my signature...

thanks elajua and Martin H

after looking throught the forums alot and the guide again....i have actually gone along the [guirunonce] route as i have managed to find 90% of the apps i want to install along with the codes....

i just need to find how to get them to install from the cd now as im sure they will be copied over...

thanks again for your help though...much appreciated

i just need to find how to get them to install from the cd now as im sure they will be copied over...
Look my post above, that example is for installing apps from CD/DVD. If you choose this way, you can shortne the time needed to install them because in OEM folders they have to be copied to the hard disk first. So, if you use a lot of apps, this process can take very long.

Also, if you want to hide the command windows, make a search in this forums for cmdow.